Another Secret

As Frederick walked toward the family's wing of the castle, he saw Nanny carrying Baby Linne toward the nursery.

"Hi!" Frederick called out, then put his hand to his mouth when he realized the baby was sleeping. He managed a stage whisper. "Are Mother and Father in their room?"

"Yes, dear," she told him. "Be sure to knock first."

Frederick approached his parents' bedroom, and realized that Nanny must not have closed the door all the way. There was hushed talk between his parents, and as he approached, he began to hear what they were saying.

"...but there's no way. We have to do something about him," he heard his mother say.

"But why?" his father insisted. "It's not his fault, and besides, people like him. You're the one who wanted to avoid a scandal. Sending him away-"

"Might be better than trying to pretend everything is perfectly normal when you know it's not... not now."

"You're right, I know. We need to figure something out. But-"

Frederick had the feeling he wasn't supposed to be hearing any of this, and as much as he thought they might be talking about him, he didn't feel comfortable eavesdropping, so he loudly knocked on the door and cleared his throat somewhat dramatically.

His father opened the door a crack. "Oh, it's you," he sighed in relief. "What is it, Frederick?"

"Is Mother there?" Frederick asked, already knowing she was inside the room.

"Yes," Kristoff opened the door to let his son in. "What's the matter?"

"Sorry," he walked over to his mother sitting on the bed. "Our Ambassador to America quit to get himself a farm out west. I guess they're giving them out free?"

"Wait," his mother began, "What are you talking about?"

"Inga said you need to meet the council yourself to pick a new ambassador," Frederick explained. "Also we were wondering how much longer you'd be leaving us on our own."

"Oh..." Anna sighed, looking up at Kristoff. Frederick wondered what he'd done wrong, since he wasn't sure who else they might have been talking about.

"I'm sorry," Frederick apologized, "Inga's the one who told me to come here. I can go. I didn't mean... whatever is wrong. I'll go now."

"No, wait," Kristoff told him, walking over. "Is that the letter?"

"Yes," Frederick replied, realizing he was almost eye level with his father. He slouched a bit. For all the times during the summer that he had tried to act more grown up, he suddenly felt unready.

"Can you leave it with us?" his father asked.

"Of course," Frederick said, handing it over. "It's not like I can really do anything with it."

"Thanks," Kristoff sighed. "Why don't you go take a break now?"

"No, really, it's fine," he insisted. "And Inga will be expecting me, anyway."

"Thank you, Frederick," his mother smiled. "Do you need anything else?"

"Um, if it helps," Frederick spoke before getting to the door. "Admiral Sorensen told me he'd like to take me out on the training ship this spring. I told him I'd have to ask you first."

"That's fine, I guess," his mother replied, seeming somewhat distracted.

"Great, thanks!" Frederick replied, making sure to close the door completely and latch it as he left.