The Truth

Inga stood in the corner watching the final preparations for the evening's dinner and ball. She hadn't intended to arrive at the ballroom early, but once Gerda had stopped by her room offering to help her get dressed, she didn't want to make her come back later. Gerda had suggested her emerald green dress, which wasn't as tight as the one she had worn for the ball in Corona, but it was still too wide and too long to be doing anything else in, so there wasn't much left to do but head over to the ballroom. She had stopped by to see if her parents were ready, but they hadn't even given her a clear answer if they were going to be at the banquet beforehand.

Every few minutes a servant would come over and ask if she needed anything, even though she was trying to stay in the background and just watch. Finally, she told one that she could use something to drink. Other guests were slowly starting to come in. Her parents had informed Kai that it would be best not to wait for them to begin the evening. Inga silently laughed to herself that the Prince of Maldonia was probably expecting a more formal event in his honor. Thankfully, he had not arrived early. Her own table was still empty, and she looked around to see if there was anyone she would want to talk to before dinner began.

"Elizabeth!" Inga called as she nearly ran over to her table at the banquet. "Where's Lars?"

"Mr. Meyer took him aside to speak privately. They've been doing that quite a lot this week. How have you been?"

"Busy," she replied, setting down her empty glass on the table. She leaned in to whisper, "I really don't know whether my parents are showing up tonight, even after my mother promised not to leave me alone with that prince from Maldonia. I might need to call in that favor from the ball in Corona, since you're married now and your husband will be right here. I'm pretty much obliged to dance with the prince once, but after that-"

"I'll see what I can do," Elizabeth smiled. "Your dress is lovely, by the way. I've always loved emerald green, so bold."

Inga smiled and nodded, not wanting to admit that she hadn't put that much thought into the color of her dress. She stood quietly for a moment, looking around nervously. She sighed. "I don't want to bring it up, but, have you- has he made a decision? About, you know, that thing?"

"No. The Ambassador doesn't want to lose him, of course, but he also acts like saying 'no' isn't a real option, either."

"I can't see why," she scowled, barely keeping her voice down. "I don't understand it, to be honest. Really, I hate it. I... I thought you'd be here at least a year or two."

Elizabeth nodded. There was some commotion as Inga's parents had suddenly appeared at their table, and the footmen began bringing out the main course. Inga hurried back to her table.

Inga sat next to Frederick as they finished their main course. She wasn't feeling particularly hungry, but she had accepted every refill on her drink. Frederick would occasionally tell her about his conversations with the Admiral and the various naval officers present, and Inga would try to say something appropriately encouraging, since it was all exciting and new to him. Her father was always quiet at these events, but her mother was unusually reserved this evening, looking around the room, almost nervously, with none of her usual excitement about the event, or eventhe mirth she would quietly express if the guest list wasn't satisfactory. Still, they were here, so Inga at least wasn't going to be left completely at the mercy of Prince Tarkan.

When dinner was over and they were waiting for the dancing to begin, Inga wanted to go speak to Elizabeth some more, but Elizabeth's mother and sisters were keeping her busy. Inga decided that she would give them some space since they would be leaving the next day for Wesselton. She hoped that they would take Prince Tarkan with them. Inga looked around the room.