Facing the Music

"Mother?"

"Come in," his mother called from the desk as Frederick knocked at the study door.

"Just me?" he asked, looking around.

"Yes," she answered hesitantly. "Inga isn't feeling well."

"Really? Is there something wrong? I know she had kind of a bad time at the party, but that was two days ago now."

"She'll be fine, she just needs some time to herself."

Frederick sat down at the desk opposite his mother, opening the letters that she didn't need to look at personally. The task was rather mindless, and he occasionally amused himself by wielding his letter opener like a weapon, swishing it around.

"Fred, please focus," his mother chided.

"Sorry, Inga and I were having sword fights in here last month when we got bored, so I kind of got in the habit."

"Well... well, just stay focused, please?"

He took out the next letter. It had the same handwriting as the one Inga had grabbed out of his hand a few weeks before, and he hadn't noticed that writing on any other letters. He had the feeling it wasn't one she'd want their mother reading first. Besides, an excuse for a walk might be nice, even if it was inside on a warm sunny day, it was a few minutes to himself.

"This one is for Inga. I'll take it to her."

"If it's from a suitor, it might be better for me to read it first."

"I don't think so."

"You don't think so? Fine, take it to her, but please don't get her upset."

Frederick nodded and walked down the hall with the letter that was clearly sent from Corona. His sister had been pretty eager to get the last letter he saw from Corona before anyone else, and he had the feeling she wouldn't want their mother reading this one first.

He knocked on Inga's door.

"Who is it?" she called from inside.

"Me."

He heard some rustling, and then she opened the door. She was in her nightgown, hair tangled.

"What is it?" she asked flatly. He wasn't used to seeing her disheveled. Even if she didn't pay close attention to fashion, she was usually neatly groomed and dressed by this time of morning.

"You have a letter from Corona. I promise I didn't open it. Mother wanted to read it first, but I said I'd take it to you instead."

Inga's expression was blank as she picked up the envelope and closely examined it. "You... nobody's opened this?" she asked as if she hadn't heard what he'd said a moment before. He was supposed to be the distractible one, not her. It was almost like she was still asleep, or in a trance. He couldn't remember her being quite like this before, even when she was sick.

"Inga, is everything all right? I haven't seen you since the party. Look, I'm sorry I asked you to snoop into Prince Tarkan's business. I was mostly joking."

"What?" Inga looked up with confusion. "Sorry, I wasn't listening."

"Nevermind. Is everything okay?"

"Fine, it's fine," she said, closing her eyes.

"It's a nice day, you should get out," he suggested.

"That... that's actually a good idea," she mumbled, looking down at the letter in her hands.

"I should get back," Frederick said as he turned to go.

The Young Diplomat [Frozen II post-canon]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें