Childhood Fears

Lars and Elizabeth weren't the sort of couple to dance every dance. They had, in fact, met while both of them were avoiding the dancing at a party held by her father at their house back in Corona. Her sisters were all competing for the attention of the young officers by the tent in their back garden, and she had gone around to the front to avoid them. Lars had been dragged to the party by his brother Karl, who had been concerned about his brother's intense focus on his studies, and insisted he needed to take some time to have some fun. The party seemed to Lars to be mostly young ladies trying to catch naval officers, and he soon found himself quietly exploring the gardens, where he ran into Elizabeth.

This evening, Elizabeth's mother and sisters were monopolizing her attention any time she wasn't dancing. They were leaving in the morning, so Lars knew that Elizabeth felt obligated to spend time with them, but she had told him on more than one occasion that when she was away from them, she didn't miss them as much as she felt she should. As soon as Lars got himself away from Mr. Meyer, he made sure to find his wife and ask her to dance.

After the second dance, Lars was once again called over by Mr. Meyer, this time to meet someone who had spent several years working in America. He felt bad for abandoning Elizabeth at the party again, but at least, professionally, it was an interesting conversation. There were more dances while he talked with the other men, and eventually he was able to return and get in one more dance with his new bride.

The party was starting to wind down. He stood holding Elizabeth's hand while her mother and sisters excitedly told her about their travel plans, and all the things they would be able to do once they arrived in Wesselton. He looked around the room as they spoke. The Maldonian ambassador was speaking with Mr. Meyer, while the rest of the Maldonians had left for the evening. Frederick was pestering Elizabeth's father and Admiral Sorensen with more questions about the details of naval operations, and meanwhile he saw the Queen and her husband quietly leave. There was some commotion in the opposite corner of the ballroom, and he noticed Inga being led out by the steward.

Elizabeth looked up at him. "Do you think something's going on?" she whispered as her mother was busy discussing something with her sisters.

"I'm not sure," he murmured back. It did seem odd, particularly since the princess was normally allowed to come and go as she pleased. His wife was worried about her friend, and clearly not interested in the conversation with her mother. "Why don't you go check?"

Elizabeth nodded and tried to quietly go.

"Elizabeth, dear," her mother called, "are you turning in so soon?"

"No, of course not," Elizabeth replied, "I just wanted to check on Inga."

"You'll get plenty of time to talk to her, but we'll be leaving in the morning."

"I just need a minute, Mother, if you'll excuse me, please," Elizabeth said firmly.

"I think the Princess will be fine, dear," her mother replied.

Lars squeezed Elizabeth's hand. "I'll go see if there's anything happening."

"Thank you," she smiled at him.

"Now, what were you telling me, Diana?" Lars heard their mother saying as he walked away.

Lars saw Kate and Edith standing together off to the side of the room, exchanging guilty looks with each other. The sisters were discussing in hushed tones about whether they had gotten Inga in trouble or whether General Mattias would hear about their gossiping and they would be the ones in trouble. The General had left an hour before on their assurance that they would behave themselves.