A Whole New Situation

"Mother!" Lars shouted, bounding through the front door.

"Lars? What's the matter?"

"Nothing's the matter, it's great news! I've got a position!"

"So soon?" She smiled, giving him a hug. "And to think, you were going to be training for the Palace Guards just a few years ago. Tell me all about this position!"

"The new Ambassador to Arendelle has selected me to be his private secretary! I have you to thank for this one, I think."

"Oh... you'll be going to Arendelle? This is official?" She stepped back, her face drawn with worry.

"Yes. Mother, is something wrong?"

"I'm just... thinking."

"About Father?"

She hesitated. "Yes."

Lars knocked at the door to his mother's room after dinner. She had suggested meeting privately, otherwise he would have been happy to meet in a booth at Hudson's. Still, he wasn't sure what was so private.

She opened the door and smiled, as he stepped into the room, taking her hand tenderly.

"Mother, how was your evening?"

"Very nice, thank you. The General and Halima are very gracious hosts. And those girls are very fond of Elizabeth." She paused, closing the wardrobe and picking up the twine that had held together her clean laundry that she had just put away. "How was your dinner?"

"It... I think it went well. All of the official business seems to be settled, whether or not we're ready for the change."

She nodded. "Elizabeth and I have been discussing that. I know it's been a difficult decision for you, but both of us will go along with whatever you decide."

"I no longer have a choice, it seems," he sighed.

"Is that so?" she asked calmly but with concern, taking his hand.

"The ship that arrived from Corona today has a special emissary, as well as three candidates for Mr. Meyer to pick from to replace me."

"Ah, well, I suppose they know what they're doing."

"It does feel that way, and yet..."

"Yes?" she asked with a hint of nervousness, almost like she wanted to change the subject.

"Mr. Meyer, he seems to think that you've been getting particular attention from the royal families in both Corona and Arendelle. Looking back, it does seem like we spent considerably more time at the palace in Corona than... than most people in our... our station in life. And then, Elsa seemed to know you. That was the first thing she said to me, beyond the social niceties. She knew you."

His mother nodded slowly, her face worried, her breathing suddenly measured and forced.

"Why don't we sit down?" she suggested as she sat on one of the chairs by the window.

Lars sat in the chair next to her, thinking about how at home she would have had some tea ready if she wanted to sit and talk. He had told her she could ask the castle staff to bring her anything she needed, not that he cared about having tea.

"Lars," she said, taking a deep breath, "You have a lot of questions, and I want to answer them, but I need to try to start at the beginning. I've never really told you very much about my life in Arendelle, have I?"