Exploring Arendelle

Lars had taken an early morning walk into town. The fishermen were too busy to be bothered, so he wasn't able to ask them anything, and most of the shops weren't open yet, so he simply got a better sense for the layout of the town. He remembered that Frederick, as the oldest prince had insisted he call him, had offered to show him around the countryside if he wanted to go riding. He had also told him to stop by the castle kitchen any time he wanted something to eat, but he didn't feel comfortable with imposing like that.

As he was walking back toward the castle, he noticed a bakery opening up, and he realized he was getting hungry. It looked like a local bakery, and he really wished that his mother had been the sort to do her own baking, because he had absolutely no idea what he should order.

A bell rang as he walked in the door. The woman behind the counter turned around and smiled.

"Good morning," he began, "what would you recommend?"

"You can't go wrong with a kringle," she said, "I assume you're not from around here?"

"No, in fact, I just arrived yesterday," he said, then realizing the chance, "but my parents were from here."

"Really?" she asked, moderately interested, "so, kringle?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Here you go," she said, handing over the kringle and accepting his money, "and, who were your parents, if I may ask?"

"Jan and Margit Nilsen. Jan Nilsen died before I was born, so I never knew him."

"Nilsen is a common name around here," she said, "but I might ask my great aunt when she stops by this afternoon. Are you staying a while?"

"Yes, I'll probably be here for a year," he said, finishing a bite of his kringle.

"Ah, well, I hope you enjoy your time here. How is the kringle?"

"Very tasty," he said after a few more bites, "I'll be sure to come back often, thank you."

"And now, I'll be heading back," he said as he finished the pastry.

"Have a nice day," she said as he left.

He heard boys' voices as he entered the castle gates. Frederick was just running toward the stables from the other side of the courtyard.

"Good morning, Frederick!" Lars called out. "Are you planning to go riding today?"

"I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do," Frederick admitted, "but if you'd like me to show you around like I promised, that would be great."

The two walked to the stables. Two boys popped out of the stable. One looked like a smaller version of Frederick, the other, a little bit taller, had reddish blond hair.

"Oh! Hey, Fred," the blond one called out, "Who's this?"

"Lars," Frederick replied, "He's from Corona."

"I'm Peder," he replied, "and this is Anton," he said, pointing to the other boy.

"Pleased to meet both of you," Lars said, bowing slightly to each boy.

"If Father comes back, tell him I'm taking Lars here out for a ride," Frederick told them.

"You really don't mind?" Lars asked him.

"Of course not!" Frederick said, excitedly slapping Lars on the back enough to make him stumble a bit. Frederic was already as tall as him, which wasn't surprising by itself, since his sister was just as tall, but the boy didn't seem to know his own strength.