Innocent

Once the sandwiches and dessert had been eaten, Frederick declared that he was going to go back to his room to change into more comfortable clothes. Inga thought that wasn't such a bad idea, but didn't share her brother's willingness to leave a social event before being excused. Elsa and the Crown Princess walked off to discuss something privately, and Henry and Hilde left to continue their preparations for the events later that week and the rest of the Corona Royal Family followed.

After standing on the patio for a moment while the servants cleared the tea, Inga decided to go inside and catch up with Frederick, and walked down the hallway to find him. From around the corner she could hear young women giggling and thought she heard her brother with them. Inga hurried toward the sound and saw three ladies cornering her brother, who looked trapped despite being noticeably taller. Inga couldn't place their accents, but they were well dressed, so she assumed they were ladies from some other kingdom also visiting for the occasion.

"So, Prince... Frederick, you're from Arendelle?" one of the ladies hummed, getting very close to Frederick, who looked uncomfortable. "I heard they have a dozen children."

"Eight children," he corrected, his voice cracking slightly.

"Still, quite busy," another giggled, touching his arm.

"Well, right now they are," he replied earnestly. "New babies are a lot of work."

"Oh, I would have thought they were busier last fall," the third butted in, looking up at him and winking.

"Huh?" Frederick stared in confusion. "I mean, the holidays have a lot going on, but we have a lot of help for that."

"There you are, Frederick!" Inga called over, grabbing his hand and glaring at the ladies. "I've been looking for you."

"What for?" her brother asked.

"Something," she spat out, not even bothering to think of an excuse, dragging him away. "Nice meeting you," she muttered glaring back at the women.

"What was that about?" Frederick asked when they were a distance away. "They seemed awfully interested in Mother and Father's schedule."

"Um, I don't think that was it," Inga mumbled.

"What was it, then?" he demanded.

"Nevermind that," she insisted. "Look, just watch out for, you know... women like that. I don't think they had... um... your best interests in mind. Maybe their own interests."

"I don't understand," he whined. "They were getting annoying, but what's that got to do with what our parents were doing last fall?"

Inga blinked as she looked at her brother. "As far as I'm concerned, you've answered your own question, Fred. Look, you're not bad looking, and you're probably going to inherit the throne someday-"

"Not if you can help it," he quipped.

"Oh, you heard, then? That wasn't my idea," she apologized. "And they haven't made any decisions. Hopefully it won't matter for a long time, anyway."

"And what about you?"

"Don't worry about me," she told him. "Anyhow, like I said, it wasn't my idea."

"Thanks? I guess..." he mumbled. "So, I need to learn to avoid women who are too curious about our parents?"

"That wasn't..." she suppressed a laugh. "That wasn't really my point, but you know they were teasing you, right?"

"I still don't get it."

"Fine, ask Papa when we get home."

"Why Father? Why not Mother? And I thought you were involved in a lot of the planning, too?"