The Ball

The clock in the hall struck midnight. The sky was dark. The remains of the last Winter snow were piled here and there around the courtyard. The castle was empty except for the Queen and the staff. Queen Elsa knocked at the door. There was commotion on the other side. The door opened.

"Your Majesty! Did you ring for me? I'm terribly sorry, but I was asleep," Kai sputtered.

"No," Elsa replied. "Sorry, I didn't want anyone else woken up. I know you've personally vetted all the new staff, but-"

"Of course," he breathed in relief, waiting expectantly.

"As you know, Kai, there is a ship in the harbor leaving first thing in the morning for Corona."

"Yes, of course," he replied. "Her husband boarded this evening, as you saw."

"Indeed," she affirmed. "Now, I need you and Gerda to go to Margit Nilsen and tell her it's time. She should have nearly everything ready to go. Please help her with anything that remains and get her and her baby quietly on to the ship."

"As you wish," he promised.

"Kai, there is one more thing." Elsa spoke hesitantly. "I will be on that ship, too."

"I understand, Your Majesty," he acknowledged as the Queen turned and left.

Elsa sat deep in thought poking at the remains of her dinner when she smelled the freshly baked chocolate cake being brought out. She set her fork down and a servant quickly came by to remove the plate. As she waited for the cake to be cut and brought around, she noticed Lady Amelia of Wesselton bring Elizabeth back inside. Lady Amelia introduced her to a young Wesselton admiral. Elizabeth looked slightly uncomfortable, but she seemed to hold her own at the conversation.

"Did I miss dessert?" Frederick said as he suddenly reappeared at the table. Elsa chuckled, gently pointing out the servants only beginning to deliver slices.

"Did you leave your sister alone out there?" Elsa asked him.

"No, she's fine," he told her. "Prince Henry is out there with her."

Elsa raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. Their cake was served just then. Elsa and her nephew ate in silence. As Frederick accepted the second dessert being brought around, Elsa excused herself to walk around. Elizabeth was still stuck in conversation with the Admiral, and the musicians were preparing to start the first waltz. Elsa could see the Queen hurriedly whispering to her granddaughter, who then rushed out to the balcony to find her brother. As Elsa returned to the table to keep an eye on her nephew, she saw a flustered looking Prince Henry rush past her, followed by Hilde, who glanced behind to make sure that Inga was coming inside.

"Aunt Elsa, there you are!" Inga looked like she was going to hug her, but her skirt got in the way.

"Inga, is everything okay?"

Inga scrunched her face a little, but Elizabeth came over before she could speak.

"Inga," Elizabeth spoke with a cheerfulness that sounded forced. "I promised the Admiral over here that he could have the first dance with you."

"But..." Inga began.

Elizabeth moved closer to Inga and whispered just loud enough for Elsa to overhear. "Please! I don't want to dance with him. Lady Amelia didn't tell him I'm engaged, and he's a little too interested... Help me out!"

Inga nodded, glancing around before speaking. "Elizabeth, why don't I get Frederick. He'd probably love to dance with you!"

Elizabeth smiled with understanding, and went to inform Lady Amelia of the plan. Elsa followed her niece back to the table. Frederick groaned slightly at not getting a choice in the matter, but he admitted it would be better than some of the other ladies looking to dance, and went straight away to Elizabeth.