Headmistress

Author's note: Something I found which made my day.

Now back to the story...

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC
Dolores Jane Umbridge (High Inquisitor) has replaced Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Thirty-four.
Signed: Cornelius Oswald Fudge, Minister for Magic

The notices had gone up all around the school overnight, but they did not explain how every single person within the castle seemed to know that Gandalf had overcome two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister for Magic and his Junior Assistant to escape. No matter where Mioha went within the castle, the sole topic of conversation was Gandalf's flight, and though some of the details may have gone awry in the retelling (Mioha overheard one second-year girl assuring another that Mr. Fudge was now lying in St. Mungo's with a pumpkin for a head) it was surprising how accurate the rest of their information was. Everybody knew, for instance, that Harry and Marietta were the only students (besides Mioha, but not everyone knew that) to have witnessed the scene in Gandalf's office and, as Marietta was now in the hospital wing, Harry was suddenly besieged with requests to give a first-hand account.

"Dumbledore will be back before long", said Padma Patil quietly on the way back from Herbology after checking no one was watching. Students of different houses weren't allowed to speak with each other after all. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time. The Fat Friar told me-", she dropped her voice conspiratorially, so that Mioha and Luna had to lean closer to her to hear "-that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her."
Padma smirked. "Apparently, she had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office", mumbled Mioha as they walked up the stone steps into the Entrance Hall. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old-"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Lince?"

Pansy Parkinson had slid out from behind the door, closely followed by Draco and Vincent. Her pale, pointed face was alight with malice.

"Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Ravenclaw", she drawled.

"It's only teachers who can dock points from houses, Parkinson", said Padma at once.

"Members of the Inquisitorial Squad-"

"The what?", said Luna slowly.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Loony", said Pansy, pointing towards a tiny silver 'I' on her robes just beneath her prefect's badge. "A selected group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, hand-picked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points ... so, Patil, I'll have five from Ravenclaw for walking and talking with a Slytherin, five from you for spreading gossip about our new Headmistress. Loony, five for being stupid. And five because I don't like you."