Being a Slytherin

Jessamine woke up early. She needed a moment to orientate herself, her eyes sweeping over her green four-poster bed and her nightstand. Then realization hit her.
It was her first day of classes.
That thought made her excited and nervous at the same time.

She got up quietly and dressed herself, trying not to wake her roommates, who were Daphne Greengrass, Pansy Parkinson and Tracey Davis.

Jessamine wished her dorm would be in one of Hogwarts' towers so that she could see the sun, but the view underneath the lake was not so bad either. It was a little eery with the eels staring through the windows, but the green and blue shimmering water was extremely beautiful.

She left the Slytherin den with her bag filled with her books and Esma perched on her shoulder.

Since Esme was not a magical bird, she didn't know where to go, so Jessamine had to find the owlery before breakfast.

She got lost a few times, feeling grateful that she had woken up so early, until she stumbled into somebody who had rushed around the corner.

She landed on her behind, Esma flying off her shoulder and screeching enraged.

When Jessamine looked up, she recognized the man as one of the professors sitting at the teachers' table.

He wore black robes, and black was his hair as well as his eyes. His eyes narrowed dangerously and he seemed to be ready to unleash an angry rant.

Jessamine hurriedly got back on her feet and Esma returned to her shoulder.
"Excuse me, sir?", she asked nervously. "Could you tell me where the owlery is?"

"Follow that corridor and turn left", he sneered at her and disappeared around the corner.

Esma screeched something that sounded unpleasant.

"I agree", said Jessamine and continued walking.

Breakfast was not such a complicated thing as she thought it would be. The food was delicious, but Jessamine decided for good that she didn't really like pumpkin juice.

Esma was having a good time in the owlery, making friends with the other owls.
Jessamine wouldn't be too worried about her.

She sat at the end of the Slytherin table next to Daphne close to the High table where the teachers sat, when the time tables were being handed out.

Jessamine saw Professor McGonagall walking to the Gryffindor table and figured she would be the Gryffindors' Head of House.

She was very surprised to learn that the Professor she had bumped into earlier was the Head of Slytherin.

She muttered a "Thank you" when she received her time table and glanced at it.

It wasn't too bad, she figured, she had several classes with Gryffindor and some with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. That would be a good chance to get to know the other houses.

When she finished breakfast, she walked over to the Gryffindor table to Harry and Ron.

"Hey guys", she smiled. "What classes do you have today?"

Harry pulled out his time table.

"Transfiguration and History of magic", he said, "and you?"

"Charms and Herbology", Jessamine replied.

"What are you doing here, Slytherin?", a boy asked with a hostile tone in his voice.

Jessamine looked at him irritatedly.
"Why shouldn't I be here?"