The Sacred Grounds of Nanrek

"It comes down to this," said Hermione, rubbing her forehead

"It comes down to this," said Hermione, rubbing her forehead. "Either Mr. Crouch attacked Krum, or somebody else attacked both of them when Krum wasn't looking."

"It must've been Crouch," suggested Ron at once. "That's why he was gone when Harry and Dumbledore got there. He'd done a runner."

"I don't think so," said Harry, shaking his head. "He seemed really weak - I don't reckon he was up to Disapparating or anything."

"You can't Disapparate on the Hogwarts grounds, haven't I told you enough times?" grumbled Hermione.

"Okay. . . how's this for a theory," said Ron excitedly. "Krum attacked Crouch - no, wait for it - and then Stunned himself!"

"And Mr. Crouch evaporated, did he?" said Hermione coldly.

"Oh yeah..."

It was daybreak. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had crept out of their dormitories very early and hurried up to the Owlery together to send a note to Sirius. Then they had sent an owl to fetch Mioha, who had silently listened to their theories on Mr. Crouch.
Now they were standing looking out at the misty grounds. All four of them were puffy-eyed and pale because they had been up late into the night thinking about Mr. Crouch.

Mioha rubbed her aching head.
This didn't make any sense. Where was Barty Crouch?
She had consulted Hogwarts immediately once she had had some privacy in the girls' bathroom. But the wizard was not alive on Hogwarts' grounds.

Mioha swallowed.
Did that mean he was absent or was he d-

"Just go through it again, Harry," said Hermione. "What did Mr. Crouch actually say?"

"I've told you, he wasn't making much sense," said Harry. "He said he wanted to warn Dumbledore about something. He definitely mentioned Bertha Jorkins, and he seemed to think she was dead. He kept saying stuff was his fault...He mentioned his son."

"Well, that was his fault," said Hermione testily.

"He was out of his mind," said Harry. "Half the time he seemed to think his wife and son were still alive, and he kept talking to Percy about work and giving him instructions."

"And . . . remind me what he said about You-Know-Who?" said Ron tentatively.

"I've told you," Harry repeated dully. "He said he's getting stronger."

There was a pause. Then Ron said in a falsely confident voice, "But he was out of his mind, like you said, so half of it was probably just raving..."

"He was sanest when he was trying to talk about Voldemort," said Harry, and Ron winced at the sound of the name. "He was having real trouble stringing two words together, but that was when he seemed to know where he was, and know what he wanted to do. He just kept saying he had to see Dumbledore."

Mioha nodded in agreement.
It was like he had to force himself saying what he wanted to, she thought.

"And Dumbledore was okay with you helping Hagrid in the forest so late?", Hermione asked suspiciously, eyeing Mioha tiredly.