Ch. 4: Peroxide blonde

Start from the beginning

"Hold on! Why was it chaotic?"

"Ahh, some famous person, I guess. I didn't care to find out because I felt so dumb searching for a man that wasn't there."

Gabby corrected me.

"You thought he wasn't there. Maybe he was the famous person?"

"Yeah, right," I snorted and laughed. "I think he would have told me that."

Gabby shrugged.

"He hasn't given you any clues at all?"

I scanned my brain for possible hints, but just like I'd read through our conversation multiple times, I came out empty. So I shook my head.

"But that's not important, Gabs."

"Stop calling me that!"

"Fine. Gabby. Anyway. I went home and heard nothing until the day after. So I was angry, of course, but somehow I didn't wanna block him before I knew why he didn't show up."

"You've got a big heart, girl. I'd muted his ass before I even got home."

"Of course you would," I commented and rolled my eyes.

"But since I'm not you, we basically ended up apologizing to each other."

"You apologized to him? What for? You didn't do anything," she exclaimed a little too loud.

"Shh! Keep it down."

My eyes darted through the room after the midlife-crisis bubblegum chewing female that already seemed to want us out of there. But she was nowhere to be seen.

"Yes, I apologized for not believing him when he obviously told the truth. And... Uhm. I might or might not have given him a hard time about it."

I gave Gabby a sheepish grin and she laughed.

"So we kept talking... He's incredibly sweet, by the way. And really, really hard to stay mad at."

...and constantly flirting and makes me smile like an idiot, I added in my mind.

"Is someone getting a little smitten over here?" Gabby asked knowingly and wiggled her eyebrows.

"What? Of course not! I've never even seen the guy, since our first attempt failed."

"So there'll be a second?"

Gabby was almost rubbing her hands with excitement.

"No, there won't. I refused. I told him that I didn't want to meet, so we kind of agreed on that."

"Hmph. You're no fun."

"Shut up! I haven't even come to the best part yet."

Gabby circled her finger out in the air to make me hurry up.

"He... Hold on."

I pulled Gabby up from her seat and dragged her toward the exit. But before we came that far, the waitress came scurrying towards us.

"You can't leave until you've paid for your drinks!" she exclaimed strictly.

"But we're not leaving," I retorted, but she wasn't convinced. So I dug into my pocket and grabbed whatever was in there.

"Here. This should be enough for both our sodas and two sandwiches. Now, can we go outside for a couple of minutes?"

She nodded sourly and went back to the cashier, and I pushed my very confused best friend out of the door.