Chapter 27 - Part I

"Ow! Careful!" I snap at Abigail as she tries to fix a lock of hair behind my ear with the help of several bobby pins. Today is Halloween, and Abigail and I are getting ready together for the party. "Bitch that hurts!" I yelp as a bobby pin goes into my scalp.

"If you stayed still it'd be easier."

"Wow, I look hot." I look at my reflection on the mirror –hot might not be a proper adjective for the costume I'm wearing, but the dress and all of its accessories really highlight my features.

"You look like you're going to a book club meeting with senile people, not a college party."

"You're just jealous that I'm going to be the only one that won't be freezing her ass." Abigail opted for a modern-day Little Mermaid costume and that's enough to know she's out of her mind because it's like 35°F outside. "I'm sorry Zack couldn't make it."

"Whatever. Who cares." She hunches her shoulders nonchalantly, but I know her enough to realize that Zack not being her is bugging her; they'd always choose matching costumes for Halloween.

"Hey, he'll back in a few months."

"I don't know, Alex."

"What do you mean? Are you guys okay?"

"Remember earlier this month when I went to visit him?" I nod my head yes and let her continue. "Well, it was so odd. He didn't want to leave the house, which was fine by me because hell, that's why I bought those damn condoms, but it was so boring! He only wanted to watch movies all day and eat pizza!"

"Maybe he was tired?"

"That's what he said, but something seemed off."

"You'll be alright, Abi. If there's someone that can make it work through long distance, that's you guys."

"We'll see. Come on let's go, I want to get there before it's too crowded."

It takes us around twenty minutes to finally arrive to the venue the party is being hosted at, just a few blocks away from the main campus. Abigail wanted to stop by a convenience store to buy cigarettes, where she tried to cut in line but was busted by a couple of girls that were already under the effects of alcohol—like us, in all confidence, since we had a few drinks while we got ready—and Abi being Abi, she tried to put on a show right there.

I convinced her that Josh was for sure bringing cigarettes, and that he wouldn't mind sharing some with her.

"Promise me that you won't disappear after five minutes." She gives me a stern look as we take the front steps of the building, the music emanating from the walls.

"What do you mean? I want to partaaayy." My fake sing-song only makes her frown. "I'll stay around, relax."

Well, I have to give it to the decoration committee; they really went over themselves this year. The party is always hosted in this old building which has a cool lofty vibe. The narrow entrance hall has the entirety of its walls covered in black, with a somber amber light coming off the ceiling and fake brushwood all over the floor. A couple of meters after, the hall makes a turn to the left which is illuminated in red and purple shades, spider webs coming off the walls.

The main dance room is what really is making highlights, though, with a beer pong table presiding it. The bar is settled to my immediate right, and to my left is the photo boot area where the tombstones seem to be the most popular attraction.

"Joshua!" Abigail calls as soon as she spots Josh. I laugh when he's just a few steps from us and I can see his costume more clearly.

"You're the cutest unicorn I've seen." I reach over to squeeze his cheek.