Chapter 26

Since I reached adulthood - specifically since I started living on my own- one of my favorites activities to engage in, is grocery shopping. There's something oddly enjoyable about it, something that demotes both independence and peacefulness. It's like you're telling the world "Yes, I'm old enough to choose the right avocado." 

Or something like that. 

I presume friendship is fairly similar. In essence, you see a human, give it a quick inspection and say "yes, this one will do." It sometimes happens, however, that once you get home after collecting the ingredients for your mother's infamous Filipino fruit salad, you realize that the perfectly shaped peaches are not sweet enough, the bright yellow pineapple is too sour, and you might have chosen the wrong brand of condensed milk. And so the next time you go to the supermarket, you know better. 

I'm confident that with Abigail, I chose an exemplary avocado.

"Can I open my eyes yet?"

"Have I told you that you can?" I huff in frustration, sticking out my tongue to Abigail as she applies what seems to be yet another layer of eye shadow. She has this tendency of practicing any newly acquired skill on me - smokey eyes this time, French braids last month- and she couldn't have chosen a less functional day, because I'm running late to grab lunch with Andrew.

"Can't we do this other day, though? I'm going to be late." I peek an eye open to take a look at my wristwatch. Madre santa, I should be in my car by now.

"It's going to be worth it." Her maneuvers come to a momentarily halt, before applying a layer of mascara and I think that this time she's thankfully, finally done. "Andrew will appreciate it."

"Whatever you mean by that?"

"Come on, Alex. Give him a chance." She places both her hands on my shoulders, and although I haven't gotten her permission to open my eyes, I do it nonetheless because what the hell is she talking about?

"Abi, I've told you is not like that."

"But it can be. Andrew is handsome, sexy and smart, and he's obviously smitten with you. And you've been single long enough."

"And I'd like to remain very much like that." Do you remember my ability to spill the beans? Well, Abigail also has the tendency of always getting what she wants, and although I've considered telling her about Nathaniel, I'm not ready to do it just yet. 

Having that in mind, I get myself off her claws and start making my way towards the door.

"So, you are single? Not seeing absolutely anyone?" The way she says the words along with the sight of her arms crossed over her chest, makes my hair prickle, and for a moment, just for a moment, I wonder if she knows about my latest activities. 

I discard the thought immediately; there's no way she knows. We've been very careful.

"As single as I've ever been." I reply faking enthusiasm, blowing her a kiss before crossing the main door and walking towards my car.

Twenty-five minutes after I walk through the doors of Cafecito Cuban coffee shop. I spot Andrew sitting in a table for two near the window; he gets up as soon as he sees me. I've been thinking of how I should tackle this, and I've come to the conclusion that straight out asking him is impossible—because I'm a coward, as it has been proved before. Instead, I'm going to play it a little nice, a little cool, see if he reacts in any way.

"Hey stranger."

"Come here." He pulls me into a big bear hug, ruffling my hair as usual. "I missed you, little one."