Chapter 17

"I've been telling you since sophomore year that he's into you, but you never listen to me." Abigail whisper-shouts as we make our way through the halls of the English Department.

"I thought that we just were best buds, he never said anything."

"You're always so clueless about shit like this." 

I should have known the moment that he invited me to that wedding last month that Andrew's intentions went beyond a friendship. Or when he gave me flowers on Valentine's day. Or definitely one of the many times he has hold my hand. 

"Honestly Alex, I don't know how you managed to get a second date."

"What?" What is she talking about now?

"Unknown dude that has already marked territory."

"Abigail, what are you talking about?"

"Are you going to tell me you didn't realize he left you with a hickey?" She's laughing openly now and it makes my heart drop to my feet.  

"Oh. You didn't." She places her phone in front of me and I see the red-ish turning purple mark on the base of my neck. A fucking hickey. Nathaniel Rowlins, you're never going to hear the end of this.

"What am I supposed to do with Andrew?" I turn our attention back to the main topic as we walk into Nathaniel's classroom.

"Just ask him straight out if he feels something about you."

"I can't do that. Nope." 

"Well then keep friend-zoning his sad puppy ass." I restrain an eye roll as I take my seat.

She's probably right, though. I wouldn't want Andrew getting his hopes up with me, he's one of the nicest guy that I know and deserves a good girl to love him unconditionally. 

When another post-it note lands on my desk, I think that it's Abigail and her new form of communication. But surprisingly, the one I see when I look up is Nathaniel, now walking to his desk.

My brows furrow when I see that the only thing written on it is "AD800E361". I recognize it immediately as a library code. 

I glance back at him, but he's focused on arranging his books and the material for the class. I quickly log in into the university app and go directly to the library search engine, typing the code.

"Your mouth is lovely"

My teeth sink into my bottom lip and I feel red scorching my entire face. How can he do it? I can hardly produce a coherent sentence when he's around but it seems that for him these things just come naturally.

I'm trying my best to dissimulate a smile when I finally make eye contact with him. There is a hiding, maybe mocking, smile behind his eyes. His lips barely curl as he stands up to begin the class. 

"Good morning everybody. Can someone remind me where we left yesterday?" The hand from eager Rachel from the third row immediately shoots up.

Nathaniel avoids my gaze, and the memory of how he left me hanging last night resurfaces. Two can play this game, Rowlins.

An idea pops in my mind.

My fingers hover over the screen of my phone and, after a quick research, I text him another code.

"Kiss me if you can"

As he's begun his lecture, he doesn't check his phone right away. It gives me plenty of time to work on phase two of the plan.