Chapter 41

The sun beams are starting to find their way into the room, but the one thing that wakes me up are his warm lips planting kisses on the naked skin of my shoulder. I keep my eyes closed, letting him indulge himself, and also being curious to know how far he's willing to take his game just to wake me up.

His fingers pull my hair away from my neck, his lips immediately going for that spot behind my ear that makes me weak to the knees. I feel my middle tensing in anticipation when his hand starts caressing my thigh.

I love waking up beside him, particularly when he's being this attentive. I'm unable to keep it quiet though when I feel something hard pressing against my back, irreverent giggles escaping my mouth.

"I knew you were awake." Nathaniel murmurs against my neck, his raspy voice tickling me.

I turn around, still trapped in his arms, "Good morning to you, too." Ipeck him on the lips, smiling suggestively. 

"Seems like you're happy to see me." I wiggle my hips against him, and I can't say if the barely visible red that creeps on his cheeks is because he got caught, or the complete opposite.

"I'm always happy to see you."

"Likewise." I don't know what this man has done to me, but when I'm with him I can't think of anything else that is not related to how much I love him. With every ounce of me.

That admission would have made me run for the hills a few months ago, but now I can't entertain the idea of going more than a day without hearing his voice, the supposition of not being able to trace my fingers in the soft of his hair again, of feeling his scent and warmth next to me, is ludicrous. Even being without his wicked and often vexing sense of humor is harrowing.

"You know, I've just come to realize that's the best way to wake you up. You are a hell of a deep sleeper." In one swift move he positions himself above me, kissing me hard.

"I was just so tired..."

"I wonder why." He raises his eyebrows in a provocative way, his eyes titillating. I'm about to jab him on the ribs when I remember his comment about me being an aggressive girlfriend.

I wished he'd show his witty, humorous side to others; his students would definitely appreciate it. It still amazes me that the stern Professor Rowlins can be this indecent in bed.

"And given that there's a long day ahead of us," he whispers as he plants small kisses over my collarbone, "I will have to be very...thorough." A chuckle gets trapped in my throat when he kneads my breast, his lips still rummaging over my skin.

"I love you." I can't keep my eyes open anymore when he takes his ministrations down my middle. My fingers tangle in his unruly hair as he now nuzzles my belly, my breath catching. Shit. I'd really, truly, love to keep this going, but we do have a long day ahead of us. "We have to bake her a cake."

"What?"

"Abigail." The sound of her name makes him look up, a pesky expression that I wish I could take a picture of on his face. "We have to get her a cake."

⚜⚜⚜

Nathaniel

⚜⚜⚜

Small snowflakes have begun to fall again as we walk towards the Cloud Gate sculpture at Millennium Park. Alexia is wrapped in I don't know how many layers, plus gloves and a beanie, but I see her cheeks are flushed regardless of. I drape an arm around her shoulders in an attempt to keep us both warm. We're supposed to meet Abigail and her boyfriend Zack here.