Chapter 11 // Tears

Azzahras POV

*FLASH BACK*

I'm in a hospital that smells like medicine and dead people. I am so confused and scared.

After Humaira lost conscious and fell to the kitchen floor. I screamed to the top of my lungs and called my mother.

While we were on our way to the hospital we called her parents immediately.

The doctor wouldn't let me see her because they had to make sure Humaira's parents were there.

My heart was racing when they rushed her into a room and all fell silent. The sound of footsteps walking on the squeaky hospital floor and my heavy breathing was the only noise I heard.

When Humaira's parents came the nurse informed me that she woke up and I couldn't wait to see her. My mother was sitting beside me, calling my dad to inform him that we were in the hospital.

When the doctor was heading towards the door I blocked his path and started bombarding his with questions.

"Is she okay? What happened to her? Why did she faint? Is she gonna be alright? What happened to her goddammit!?!"

He looked surprised. "I have to see my patient, mam," he said.

I looked at his name tag and it read, "Dr. Einstein". Without thinking I raised my eye brows and said,"you wouldn't like me to report you, do you? Tell me what happened to her."

He looked down on his clipboard hesitantly. "If you want to know then I will have to talk to you in private. It would be a distracter if the patient finds out."

My heart was beating 200 times a second.

From the corner of my eye I see Humaira's dad standing behind the doctor. When the doctor moved aside he rushes into the room.

I follow the doctor and he leads me to his office. Dr. Einstein gestures me to sit down and I nod.

"I have Already told Humaira's parents what is wrong with her," he spoke.

I fell silent. I wish my mother was here with me. She's probably waiting for dad's arrival.

"And your friend Humaira, is in a very critical condition." His lips quivered at the last two words. Critical condition.

The words "critical condition" went on and on in my head.

Critical condition.

Critical condition.

Critical condition.

Critical condition.

"I am very, very sorry to say this but your friend h-has......"

"What!? What's wrong with her?! Tell me!," I screamed at him.

He raised his hand and gestured me to sit down. I nodded and did as I was told.

"Again I am truly very, very sorry but you friend, Humaira Kapoor h-has........Rheumatic heart disease."

The room fell silent. My eyes were filled with tears making my eye sight blurry. A tear slipped down my cheek.

"Rheumatic heart disease is damage caused to the heart's valves by rheumatic fever, which is caused by streptococcal bacteria. Humaira has a rare condition in which she has a....hole. In her heart. The disease Is soon going to spread through her whole heart, and only giving the chance for her to live for.....one month," he said.

All the information that he was telling me was still trying to process in my brain.

Heart disease. Hole in her heart. Only one month the live. Humaira has only one month to live. One month. To LIVE.

I rushed out of his office and came running to her room door.

Dr. Einstein was behind me. He then opened the door and walked in.

I wanted to see her really bad so I barged in to her room.

She was sitting on the small bed talking to her mother. She had a smile on her face.

Her eyes landed on mines and I tried not to cry. Control Azzahra. Control.

My feet rushed up to where they sat. I decided to sit at the end of the bed.

Dr. Einstein spoke up and started talking to her. I was not paying attention at all. My eyes only focused on my best friend who replied with a smile.

This time I wanted to cry really bad but I held it in. I didn't want her to find out or she might have a panic attack.

Right after everyone left her head shot up towards me and raised her eyebrows.

"Spill," she said.

I then started stuttering and saying who knows and that led her to be more confused then ever.

But when she started rubbing her head and holding onto the sides of the bed, I freaked out.

I felt so scared and I didn't know what to do. I screamed to the top of my lungs,"nurse! Get your fat ass over her!"

The nurse came running in and I looked over at Humaira. I held onto her as tight as possible.

The nurse spoke up. "She fainted again. I'm going to call an extra nurse and a doctor."

She went up to the phone at the side of the bed and started dialing.

"Hello?! Hello, doctor? We need some extra nurses and come here as fast as possible. The patient fainted," she screamed at the phone.

I laid Humaira's head down carefully on top of the pillow.

The nurses and the doctor came running into the room.

One of the nurses pulled me out of Humaira's hold, took my arm and pushed me out of the room. She looked the door.

I kept banging on the door. And that's when my mom and dad pulled me out.