Chap 22: The First Look

Chapter 22

Cassie's POV

My eyes slowly opened to see that I was still in the hospital room. It had been a week since the incident and these four walls were really starting to suffocate me. I was now able to walk a little but I couldn't use my legs for long periods because I was still weak. I hadn't yet been told when I would get discharged, so I guess I just went to sleep every night wishing that I'd awake in my bed.

My parents were keeping tabs on Kay. Last night Kay's mom visited me and told me that Kay was pretty good now and that she would be allowed to meet me in the next couple of days.

In the beginning I was petrified at the very thought of not seeing Kay for so long, but when I spoke to my parents the day after my attack, they seemed understanding and let me speak with her once or twice a day over the phone.

However, these conversations were always supervised. My parents scrutinized me while I spoke with Kay as if to say I was breaking the law. For this reason I was unable to tell her anything. I was looking forward to her visit.

Suddenly, the door of my room opened and my dad entered. "It's Kayley," he said. "Should I let her in?"

"Yes, of course," I replied, smiling.

She entered the room in that lose blue nightsuit that belonged to the hospital, looking groggy and tired. She had deep rings under her eyes and her otherwise straight and perfect blonde hair was now touseled all over and it looked like a bird's nest. She seemed worse than she was the last time I saw her.

I could've sworn that her mom said that she was much better.

"Hey, Kay!" I said, smiling.

"Hey," she replied dryly. I wondered what was wrong with her while she took a seat on the couch.

"So, there's a lot to say. Just check if the door is closed," I said.

"It's shut," she replied, with a tone that made her seem almost...Angry.

"Okay," I said, perplexed by her moodiness. "Jake attacked me in my room."

"You saw his face?" she asked, now confused, but angry as well.

"Yes," I replied. "And he said many things... That I now think are true."

"What did he say?" she asked, almost growling in the process. She seemed so angry, it was hard to believe that this was the same calm and collected sweetheart I knew all my life.

And then it struck me. This wasn't Kayley.

I tried to keep the same demeanor as I spoke to her. If she was half as crazy as I thought, I'd be dead the moment she found out that I knew who she was.

Therefore, I fought to seem calm and not stutter while I said, "Uh... Nothing much. Just that he had reasons for doing all of this. He didn't give me the reasons though."

I wasn't lying. He did say he had reasons and to be very honest, I did believe him because he had sincerity in his eyes. I also felt the need to protect him, which is why I didn't go and tell her everything he'd said.

She leaned forward on the couch and asked, "You said earlier that he said many things... And now he said nothing much? Are you keeping something from me?"

She was onto me. I was extremely nervous. I knew that she was going to hold onto every word I would speak, so I slowly muttered, "N-no. He did say many things. He told me he l-loved me and that he was s-sorry about everything. B-but that's it."

That was a lie. He had said nothing of the sort. He'd actually chosen to completely oversee the fact that we were exes. But I had to say something, so I said that.

I didn't know what to expect as a reaction, so I just watched her face. In a matter of moments, it was all scrunched up in fury. She stood up and stormed to the bed. I didn't even realise that she was close to me before her hand landed on my left cheek, sending a burning sensation to my brain while my neck whipped around.

She was only a few centimeters away when I looked up at her red face, raging with anger. "You're lying, bitch. I don't like liars. Now come with me before you tell my bitch sister what you think you know."

All of a sudden, a cloth was shoved into my mouth and another was held before my nose, suffocating me. I could hardly comprehend the situation when black spots appeared in my vision, and sleep seemed to be the goal of my life, even though I had woken up only fifteen minutes ago.

*

When I awoke, I felt weaker than ever. The weaknesses the first thing I noticed, but it definitely wasn't the worst. Each discovery I made was worse,than the last.

The second one was that my hands were numb, and the one that followed that discovery was the deep, burning pain originating from my wrists.

When I was finally able to open my eyes, I saw nothing but darkness. I twisted and turned as much as I could, with my restrained hands, but there was no light in the room. No window, even.

How long would it be before I'd suffocate to death here? How long had it already been?

Newer questions popped up in my mind every few seconds, while I tried to figure out something about my surroundings.

Since my legs were free, I took off my shoes and tried to feel the floor with my bare feet. I could feel dry hay. Was I in a farm house? If so, I must be pretty far away from the city. Again, how long had it been?

I sighed and leaned against the pole behind me.

"God, what am I supposed to do?" I cried in exasperation. I closed my eyes and tried to think.

However, in no time, I heard a male voice say, "Cass? You're awake?"

"Yeah, Jay. What are you doing here?" I asked, surprised.

"I don't know. I was drugged and brought here," he replied.

"Same. Where are we? What's the time?"

"I have no idea. It's too dark here."

"Do you have anything on you? A pocket knife or something?" I asked, already knowing answer.

"No. I had one but I think she took it," he said.

"How were you brought here?" I asked.

"I'll tell you..," he began, but faded off at the sound of a distant door bang.

I stiffened the thought of that girl coming in here and torturing me, or him. Therefore, I whispered to Jay, "Pretend to sleep." And then I closed my eyes too.

The door of the place we were in opened with a creaky noise and I resisted the temptation to open my eyes and take a look at my newly visible surroundings.

The sounds of four footsteps were heard as the hay ruffled underneath two people's feet. I heard metal chains clanking and the sound of a boy sobbing. He was pretty loud. Had she tortured him?

Was she really a psychopath?

It was so hard to seem calm and dreamy while imagining the treacherous things that could happen to you. Fortunately though, I heard her pass by me and my discomfort went unnoticed.

However, I didn't hear the door close. Instead, I heard her stop in her path and I supposed she turned around. My heart's pace increased again as I thought she'd seen through my act.

However, she said, "Jay, come with me."

And then I heard chains clanking by me as I wished him all the best wishes I could.

*****

Hey guys! Hope you like it. Ask me any question about the book of there are confusions.

Vote and comment please :D