Chap 24 (1): The Climax

Chapter 24

Cassie's POV

All my life, I've done exactly as expected from me. I've obeyed my parents, been an honest friend and a good girlfriend, in my short lived relationships. I've been a good student - the one the teacher would love; a good daughter - one my parents love and I don't regret any of it. However, I've never done something great. Never have I indulged in the true pleasures of life.

I haven't gone sky diving, I haven't climbed a mountain, I've never even gone camping!

I'm still a virgin. I haven't fallen in love. I haven't stood at the top of the Eiffel tower with the man I love.

I have not been able to master anything in 17 years. I've been the Jack of all but the King of none.

I have never taken a bike ride into the sunset and just felt free and happy. I haven't tasted so many forms of liquor.

So, yes, when I die today, my parents will hold a funeral for me and write in my grave that I was a good daughter. They'll be extremely sad and so will Dylan. Soon, they'll get over it. My teachers in school will come to my funeral, but within days they'll forget I even existed. My friends will mourn me, but to what end?

They'll probably remember me once in a while and keep a spot empty for me at the Thanksgiving dinner for a year or so, but then they'll all move on. And soon, I'll be nobody.

Just nobody.

I'll die with regret.

I was taken to a room outside the one with hay. It was too dark to see exactly where we were, but the room was well lit.

I was pushed down on a wooden chair and tied to it.

"So, Cassie, let's talk about what Jake actually told you," Tan said.

*

Kay's POV

My parents entered the hospital room slowly and sat on the couch. I smiled at them warmly, but frowned when I saw the horror on their faces. Followed by their arrival was that of a frantic Mrs. Hastings. She was at my side in a millisecond and she was speaking so fast, I almost couldn't understand what she was saying.

Unfortunately, though, I did understand. "Kayley you have to tell me everything you know. Where did you take Cassie? Why did you take Cassie? She's in the hospital because she's unwell. She's not fit to be outside. Where is she?"

I was perplexed by her questions. Nothing was clear except the fact that Cassie was gone.

"Mrs. Hastings, I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't even seen Cassie lately. As a matter of fact, I haven't even left the room. I was with Marc in the morning and then Jay called him to go meet Cassie."

"Who's Jay? And Marc?" she replied. I sighed, not knowing whether or not I should tell her about Jay. Cassie would probably like to introduce her mom to him herself. Or Perhaps she wasn't serious enough about him to introduce him at all. What was I to do?

"Kayley, Cassie's missing!" Mrs. Hastings shrieked, breaking me out of my trance. I snapped my eyes shut and said, "Jay is her boyfriend from New York. Marc is a friend of mine from school."

"Why would Cass want to see Marc?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said. "They don't even know each other."

"And this boy, Jay, what does he look like?" she asked.

"He has brown hair and eyes and he's skinny and tall. He was wearing a black jumper and jeans."

"He wasn't around today. I'm positive about that," she replied. "But the last person to see her was you. You asked if you could go and see Cass. Don't you remember?"

"I haven't left this room, I swear. Maybe it was someone who looked like me?"

"Maybe..."

I looked at my parents, wanting to know if they could offer any comfort to Cassie's mom. However, I recognized the look on their faces as discomfort and guilt as they shared glances with one another.

They knew something important.

"Mom, Dad... Is there something you want to say?" I asked.

They turned towards me and looked down at the floor. Then my mom said, "This is not how we wanted you to find out. We thought we had dealt with it."

"Just spit it out, mom," I said.

"You have a twin sister. On the day of your birth, a lot of things happened. You were delivered first and were stronger and perfectly healthy. But we were told that the second child was a still born. We didn't know what had happened until very recently. Your sister was taken care of by a nurse at the hospital but she died a few years later and then the child entered the foster system for a while, until she was five, when she was adopted by a mad scientist who did scientific experiments of drugs on her and abused her sexually.

"We found out about her just a few days ago and went to meet with child protection services to discuss what to do. We decided that it would be best if we arranged a meeting with her as soon as possible and bring her back into our lives. But then all this happened to you and we had to postpone the meeting."

"How did you find out about her, though?" I asked.

"A friend of your father's saw her the other day outside a thrift shop and he greeted her, thinking it was you, but then he saw how strangely she reacted. Her clothes and hair different too and he mentioned bruises. He called then and you were right there with us so we knew it wasn't you. That's when it struck us and we looked into the case."

"Mom, dad," I said. "I understand. But right now I need you to tell me all that you found out about her. Everything. Where could she be right now?"

*

Slap! Blow! Kick! Push! Blow!

I faced a series of the above constantly as my eyes began to droop and my body reverberated with pain. I wondered why I hadn't passed out yet and wished I could. I actually wished I could pass out; the pain was that bad.

I didn't even know what she wanted from me. I tried asking her a couple of times but then my mouth refused to form words.

Jay just sat by and watched me writhe in pain. He did nothing. Nothing at all.

Parts of my body were starting to numb and the other parts were aching so bad, I was surprised that I hadn't died yet.

"You're a weakling. You bitch. All you ever do is follow that whore around like a little tail. You can't do shit. You're so weak." Tan constantly said such things and hit me. And the truth was, I believed her. I was weak. I was defenseless. I couldn't do anything.

I felt like a used rag.

Suddenly, she stopped hitting me and stood up. I was sprawled across the floor, waiting for her honour to finish me off.

"You can have her babe. Give her your worst. You know this little whore's gonna like it dirty." she said to Jay.

At first, I was confused, but then Jay took off his shirt and I knew exactly what was in store for me.
***

Hey! There's gonna be another part to this chapter. It is going to be explicit so I wanted to make it a separate part. All those who don't want to read that can just skip to the part after that. I will summarize 'The Climax: Part Two' in the 25th chapter.

Thanks for reading. Please vote and comment! Help me bring this book to 10K reads!