Chapter 21: Here Comes the Fourth...

Chap 21

Cass' POV

I watched as Jake unbuckled his belt. My eyes naturally glanced at the clock and I noticed that it was 11:55 p.m.

I didn't know what was supposed to be worse; the fact that I was going to die in the next few minutes or what I knew was going to happen to my best friend after my death. Hell, I couldn't even process everything I had been told in the last few hours.

"Jake, wait. Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, the police may let you go after Kay cause she's fine, but they won't let you go after you kill me," I said. I knew the police wouldn't let him go either way, but I had to try.

"Nice try," he said. "I don't care about the police. I spent a year in juvie and it wasn't so bad."

"But Jake, I don't understand why you would plot against your own best friend," I said, trying to distract him from the time.

"Maybe I'll tell you in your next birth, Cassie," he said, pulling out a dagger.

"No, no Jake, come on, be practical," I said, watching the dagger advance towards me while I walked backwards until I eventually hit a wall.

I heard the pants unzip as Jake grew closer and closer to me. "Jake please..," I began, but I didn't know what to say to make him stop, so I didn't say anything. I simply closed my eyes and waited for death to descend upon me.

However, I soon found out that my inkling was right, because, in a fraction of a second, the door burst open and three police officers barged in. I smiled thankfully at them, unable to remember when my eyes opened.

It was only then that i took in my surroundings. Jake was gone. And all of the officer's faces were shocked. Two of them advanced towards me with speed and caught my falling body. My falling body..?

I looked down at the floor as my vision started to blur. The cream coloured carpet in my room was stained with red. Only then did my hand reach for my stomach and feel the soaking wet top; only then did my brain feel the immense pain that came crashing down on me all of a sudden.

I let my consciousness go, deciding that doing so would be better than feeling the pain of the stab.

*

Kay's POV

Nobody would tell me where Cass was, and it was really starting to bug me.

I couldn't get out of my bed and nobody would entertain my questions from here. Not to mention, when I did try to get out earlier to save Cass, I was barely standing when my legs and mind gave in and I lost all consciousness. What could I do? I felt so weak, it was starting to get annoying.

Just then, the door opened and somebody was wheeled into my room. I turned towards the door to see who it was, hoping it was Cass; but I was surprised to see Marc.

"Marc, oh my God, how are you?" I asked. However I had the answer before he could reply. He looked worn down and tired. He was in the hospital's blue suit and his whole face seemed pale.

I wanted to hold him because he looked so fragile. I couldn't even get out of bed though.

He offered me a weak smile and said, "Good as ever."

I smiled back.

He then asked the nurse who wheeled him in to leave and he came to the foot of my bed. We chatted about things all around world before the conversation led us to the inevitable discussion - the one about us ending up in the hospital. Particularly, the one about me ending up there.

I told him all there was to know. I trusted him so much more, now that we were in this together. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was the reason he ended up in the hospital. I was the only connection between the victims, apart from the school. What did this killer want from me?

*

Cass' POV (A few hours later)

I gained consciousness only three hours after they stitched up my wound. I was given pain killers and other such things so I couldn't feel much pain.

When I awoke, my parents were both right next to me, seeming quite stressed out. However, when they saw me awake, both of them practically heaped onto my bed, not bothered by the fact that I was wounded. It didn't hurt anyway, so I let them do their thing.

I would've shown more concern, but I was currently preoccupied worrying about Kay.

"Darling, we're so sorry we couldn't save you. Your attacker brought us out to the lawn and locked us out there before getting to you," my dad said.

"Yes, he put a little kitten out there and when we went out to fetch it, it started running around. We had barely left the porch when the door banged shut and we thought it was the wind. You were asleep so we went to the front porch but the keys were missing from under the pot. We banged on the door, but you didn't answer, and the next thing we knew, the police was there and..," my mother went on and on, but stopped short of the actual incident. I understood her though. She was my mother. I knew her bubbly, talkative and sensitive nature all my life. I knew how she felt.

"I'm so sorry mom," I said. "I'm still right here so it is okay."

"Oh, honey, I'm so happy about that. You're gonna be absolutely fine," she replied.

"I hope so. Now, mom, can I please see Kayley?" I asked.

"Love, your immune system is low and all these tubes are attatched to you. How will you go anywhere?" my dad said.

"I'll manage, dad," I said, sitting up. "I'm fine."

"I know you're fine, honey, you're a strong woman and nothing will ever change that. But you can't leave our sights now. I wish this had never happened, but now it has and it has taught us never to be immature," my dad said firmly.

"I'm sorry, dad. Even I wish that it had never happened. But right now, I have someone else's daughter's 'wish' in my hands to fulfil. I need to see Kayley. It's of utmost importance. Please understand."

I knew they would ask me what I wanted to tell her. But I hoped they wouldn't waste their time doing so. I mean, I didn't want to lie to them, but how on earth is a wounded daughter in hospital supposed to tell her parents that she wanted to see her best friend to warn her about what her psychotic ex-best friend was about to do?

****

Hey guys! So, the 21st chapter, finally! I was honestly going to delete this book entirely, because I felt extremely ashamed of the under developed writing skills used in this book, but you guys commented so much and with so much enthu, I had to go on. So I'm going to write this darned book till the end, just for you guys

Please please please tell me how this chapter was. I know it's a filler, but the next chapter is going to blow you away. It is the beginning of the climax!

I hope you vote, comment and share this book. The more support, the more encouragement, guys! And tell me what you think. Who's behind all this? Why is Jake involved? What do you think of Jake and Jay? Talk to me, ya'll!

Anyway, I'll try to update asap. Bye! And happy new year (sorry, I know I'm late )