°2•Its beginning

Hanna

“Hanna, it’s time to wake up. It’s your first day at school.” I hear my sister say from the other side of the door as she knocks on it.

“I’m up. I’m up.” I answer more than once.

After taking a shower and choosing my outfit for the day, I sit down to start my breakfast. Yum, peanut butter and jelly are the best!

“Don’t forget. Jerry will pick you up after school for your appointment with Dr. Anders.”

Ah yes, Jerry, he owns the bar in this town called Puzzle13!. I know he’s my sister’s husband, and I would never go there. Yuck! But damn, he’s a hottie.

“Sis, please don’t argue with me, but I won’t continue with Dr. Anders. I don’t feel comfortable with him. I don’t like his methods.”

“But you’ve only had one session with him. Maybe if you give him some time ….”

I cut her off as I shake my head rapidly. I can’t believe she’s trying to change my mind. I’m the one who has to talk about it. I should be the one to decide who I speak with. She can’t force me. She just can’t!

Jerry walks up to Tess and whispers something in her ear. I can't hear what he's saying, but as he does, his eyes are pointing at me. I guess they are talking about me.

“Maybe we can find someone else when you're ready,” Tess tells me after her conversation with her husband.

I look at Jerry and mouth ‘thank you’ to him. He winks at me, meaning he has my back.

My sister drives me to school. As she parks her car, I look at the front of the school, wondering what to expect. At my other school, I knew what to expect, but as I said before, the person I was was long gone. I don’t want to be her anymore.

Hashtag I was a real bitch.

“Do you want me to go with you?” Tess asks me, disturbing my thoughts.

“I’m not ten. Don’t worry. I got this.” I get out and grab my thing from the car's back seat.

“Are you sure? I don’t mind running late for work, or I can call in sick to be with you.” She keeps saying.

“Yeah, right! As if the station doesn’t need you for your show, which starts in about an hour. By the way, no way I’ll let you accompany me on my first day of school or any day. Bye.” I wave my hand at her and leave to face what lies ahead in there.

“Hello, I have an appointment with Mr. Bruce Rheims. My name is Hanna Parker.”

“Ah yes, you are the new student. Sit right there. He’ll be with you once he’s done with his meeting.”

Said the secretary, smiling at me. The name on the desk says Lily Salazar.

After choosing my seat, I see a student sitting on one of the chairs. She seems lost in thought. I open my cell phone to play a game. I turn off the volume. I don’t want to disturb anyone around me. Before I can even play, I have a new notification in my cell telling me that someone has sent me a massage.

I look to see who it is. Ugh, why am I not surprised?

‘Did you make it?’ I swear she’s worse than mom.

Realizing what I thought, the memory came back to haunt me. Mom and Dad, I miss you guys. I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault.

I shake my head, closing my eyes tightly.

No. No. No. Not now. I shake my head again to clear my mind, so I focus on the now.

‘Stop worrying about me, or you’ll get wrinkled😆. I’m fine!!! I have to see Mr. Reims soon. See you after school.’ I write back to her.

I put my cell in vibrate mode and put it in my bag. I did it just in time as I saw the door open. A brown-haired student walks out of it, and OMG, he’s freakishly hot!

Don’t look. If he sees you, he thinks you are crazy for staring. Besides, someone like him screams popularity, which I’m not, so forget it! You don’t need that crap, remember? I remind myself.

“Try to remember what we talked about, Mr. Lockwood.” He must be the principal of the school.

“Yeah, yeah!” He responds as I see him walking away.

“Miss Parker? Miss Hanna Parker?”

It looks like James Bond when he introduces himself. Parker, Hanna Parker. Ha! That’s a fun thought. I get up and walk toward him to shake his hand.

“Mr. Rheims.”

Don’t show him it bothers you when he looks at you with pity as he sees you limp while walking in his office.

“So let’s see what we have here.” He tells me as he opens a file in front of me.

Is that my file?

Hashtag, I’m in big trouble now.

Shit, that’s not a good start. My curiosity got the better of me, and I tried to see what it's written on it.

“I have read your file and have to say I find it colourful.”

There you go. I knew it would be too good to be true. But then he does something unexpected. He tears up my file in front of me.

“Here at Saint-Rock High, we believe in a new beginning. What you did in your past is in the past. It’s up to you to show us what and who you are. Did I make myself clear?”

Is he for real right now?

“Of course, sir, it’s very clear.” I nod my head.

“Do you have questions?”

“No sir, I’m fine. Thank you, sir.”

Wait, did he give me another chance because of what happened to me six months ago? I was about to ask him when I saw him pick up the phone and start talking.

“Miss Salazar, can you tell Miss Lennox to come in here, please... Thank you, Miss Salazar.” Then he hangs up the phone.

Oh, it’s the same girl I saw earlier when I arrived. I realize this when I see her coming inside his office.

“Miss Parker, let me introduce Miss Viola Lennox. Miss Lennox, this is our new student, Miss Hanna Parker. Miss Lennox, I would like you to give her a tour of the school.”

“It would be my pleasure, Mr. Principal.” She answers him.

After Viola and I, we left the principal office. We are about to start my tour when I hear the secretary talking to me.

“Miss Parker, don’t forget your schedule. For the books, Miss Lennox will show you where to get them.” She then gives me some paper in a folder.

“Let’s start the tour,” Viola says when we are out of the office. I don’t know what to think of her yet. I guess we’ll see when the time comes.

Vote & Comment