Chapter 36

"I never knew you were a cry baby," Todd teased Sarah after she had closed the door, and they had both made themselves comfortable on the settee in the sitting room

Sarah gave him a stern look. "Please, don't remind me," she warned, but he laughed her off.

"So, what do you plan on doing today and don't tell me you intend on staying indoors and be down in the mouth."

"You're free to join me in my mission of being lugubrious." she offered.

Todd scrunched his nose. "No way, I'm going to pass that offer. I don't want to have gray hair and die quickly."

"Haha... You've got a funny way of reasoning." Sarah replied as she finally relaxed and began enjoying his company. He didn't seem so bad to her after all, this seemed like a perfect opportunity for her to get to know her proposed step-brother.

"You don't say," he replied with an eye roll.

Sarah wiggled her eyebrows. "Oh, yes I do."

Todd smiled, "I'm glad that this funny way of thinking was able to make you laugh."

"Yeah, and I'm grateful for that."

"Anyway, joke apart. What do you really want to do?" Todd asked.

"To be honest, I just want to sit at home and not talk to anyone," Sarah replied as she hunkered down and sunk deeper into the sofa.

"But you are talking with me right now," Todd pressed on.

"That's because you were here to deliver something for my mum and had the opportunity of seeing me in this state," Sarah replied with a hand gesture towards herself.

"That's right but, I wouldn't want that for you. You don't have to let what Ashley said to get to you." Todd advised.

"I'm not letting it get to me but I just can't ignore the fact that she might be right."

"To hell with what she thinks. She is just looking for someone to lash out on. By the way, you didn't think this way when Clara went missing, why are you reprimanding yourself now?" Todd inquired.

Sarah sighed. "You don't understand."

"Oh, no, I think I understand what's happening here," Todd countered as he stood up from the sofa. "You're not sad because of what Ashley said but it's because Adrian is missing, right?" He asked as he finally got a grasp of what was happening to her.

Sarah wasn't able to answer his question immediately. She just sat down on the settee looking up at him because she knew that deep down within her, he was right.

Ashley's words were hurtful but not enough to place her in the mood she was. It was a common thing for Ashley to always find someone to throw the blame on when things went wrong. Rather, she was sad because she didn't know what had happened to Adrian. He was the only one who knew what she had been going through and the only person she was able to confide in.