Chapter 5

*Edited

*Edited

He observed her as she entered the party venue. She had the dress he had placed in her wardrobe on, and as he expected, she looked remarkable in it. When he saw the dress at the mall, he knew it would be perfect for her.

He saw how uncomfortable she was at the party, her best friend trying to make her loosen up, but then, her friend left and just as he was about to make a move, the transfer student showed up. He didn't think much of it at first, but once Adrian whispered something to her, making her go red in the face, his blood boiled with resentment.

She wasn't like the other girls; she was calm, intelligent, and humble. The perfect one for him, and he would do whatever it took to chase off anyone who wanted to claim her before he did.

Turning around, he typed a message on his phone and hit the send button while watching from afar to see what her reaction would be like.

Fortunately, Sarah turned pale immediately after she viewed the message, fear evident on her face. Now that was refreshing, and his anger was quenched a little by her reaction.

There is nothing like seeing fear present on the face of your prey, he mumbled to himself as he stepped out of the shadows and into the night, headed for his next target.

For now, Sarah McKenzie will have to wait, but for how long?

~ ~ ~

The sound of Sarah's phone ringing from beside her pulled her out of her slumber. She moved her hand towards her bedside table, looking for her phone and grabbed it. Thinking it was Clara calling about yesterday, she answered her phone without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello, Clara, it's still too early to call. You disturbed my peaceful sleep," she said into the phone with her eyelids half-closed.

"Really, it's nine in the morning already, I would have thought most people were already awake by now," a male voice replied.

The sound of the deep voice over the phone made her shoot up from her bed into a sitting position. Sarah checked the caller ID, and seeing it was an unknown number, she became ultra-cautious of her safety.

"Who are you?" she questioned in a harsh tone.

"Slow down buttercup, It's Adrian," the voice replied.

Sarah was shocked for a second before she replied, "Adrian? How did you get my number?"

"I have my ways. Anyway, I called to check on you. You didn't look very well yesterday, hope you're fine now?"

"Yeah, I-I'm fine now," Sarah managed to answer, stuttering.

"Alright then, good to know. See you at school on Monday. Bye, buttercup," he said before ending the call.

Sarah kept holding the phone to her ear after the call was ended. She still couldn't believe Adrian called to check on her, even calling her pet names. His voice sounded heavenly, and she was mesmerized.

Her phone rang again, bringing her out of her daydream about Adrian. She looked at the screen, making sure it was Clara before answering on the second ring. Right after she did, Sarah had to draw the device away from her ears when Clara yelled from the other side of the line, asking why she left the party the previous night without her.

"Morning to you too," she sassed after her friend had finished ranting.

"What happened, Sarah?" Clara asked, "I searched all over the house for you but couldn't find you! You got me so worried until Adrian told me he'd sent you home already because you weren't feeling too well. Hope you're better?"

"Yeah, I just wasn't feeling the party, but I didn't want to spoil your fun with Jacob."

Clara seemed to be calmer then, answering, "Oh Sarah, you know you're my best friend. You can call me anytime! I'm glad you're okay."

"How did it go with you and Jacob?"

The mood shifted, Clara instantly squealing in delight. "We had fun all throughout the party, and he asked me out for lunch tomorrow! Can you believe that?" she half-screamed.

"Wow, that's some progress. It seems like you're finally getting closer to him. I'm so happy for you, babe!"

"I know right? I'm so happy, I can't wait for tomorrow, anyway, enough about me. Looks like the new guy has his eyes on you," Sarah could almost hear the smirk in Clara's voice.

"Oh come on, it's not what you think it is. He was just helping me out."

"Are you sure about that? It doesn't look that way to me."

"Of course I am, why would you even ask that?"

"Why wouldn't I! For starters, he took you home yesterday and was worried sick he had to bother me to get your number."

"He did?" Sarah asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Mhm, Sarah, I think he's a nice guy. Plus, I see the way he looks at you in class and to top it all off, he's so hot!" Clara giggled.

"Clara, I barely know him. Besides, almost every guy in school looks hot to you. He's the new kid, and you know Ashley likes him already," Sarah said, sighing at the end.

"That doesn't matter. That bitch can't keep collecting the hot guys."

Just then, Sarah's mum called from the front door. "Sarah, come help me with the groceries."

"Alright, I'll be down in a minute, Mum," she called back, before turning back to her phone. "Talk to you later, duty calls," she told Clara as she ended the call.

 "Talk to you later, duty calls," she told Clara as she ended the call