Chapter 30

Sarah sat down on her bed and made a fuss about everything

Sarah sat down on her bed and made a fuss about everything. What was taking Adrian long from getting to her place? She wondered. She dialled his line but it wasn't reachable. The server kept informing her that the line was switched off.

Did he bail on me? Sarah wondered. Or, did something terrible happen to him? She thought again. Sarah was beginning to get worried but her hands were tied. There was nothing she could do at that very moment. As if on cue, her mum called from downstairs, reminding her to go get ready for dinner since the expected guests would be arriving soon, and they needed to set the table.

"I'll be down in five," Sarah answered back as she stood up from her bed and went towards the dressing mirror to arrange her hair. She dialled Adrian's line one more time before going downstairs but there was no progress. The line was still switched off. Maybe his phone ran down, she concluded. It was the best alternative she could think of than having negative thoughts about his delay. She went downstairs and entered the kitchen to help her mum.

"Took you long enough, I thought you were preparing yourself for a gala," her mum said immediately as she entered the kitchen.

"Sorry, just couldn't leave the shower on time."

"Obviously, why don't you take the plates to the table and I would give a final check to the chicken in the oven?"

"Okay," she replied as she picked up the plates and took them to the dining hall. In the process of placing the plates on the table, the doorbell was rung.

"Sarah, go check who's at the door," her mum shouted from the kitchen.

Sarah couldn't believe that her mum would go through this length just for dinner with some friends. Guess they must really be important if they could put her mum on edge, she thought as she walked towards the door to open it for the guests. Although, a part of her had wished that it was Adrian who had rung the bell but her hopes were crushed when she opened the door and was greeted by a man whom she assumed would be in his early forties with a boy by his side at their doorstep. The boy was putting on glasses, and he had blue orbs that seemed really familiar to her.

"Hi, I'm Mr Wood and this is my son Todd," the man introduced himself and the boy by his side, making Sarah come back from her zoning out. That's why she had a déjà vu feeling when she saw the boy. He was the nerd whom Marco had pushed down at school a few months ago.

"Sarah, why aren't you letting the guests in?" Her mum asked from behind her.

"I'm sorry," Sarah apologized to them before opening the door widely for them to come in.

"Hey, Jared, It's nice to see you again," her mum said as she stepped forward and hugged Mr Woods. Sarah was dumbfounded by the display of affection from her mum towards the man in front of her.

"Same here, Mauley," he replied.

"This is my daughter Sarah and I'm guessing that should be Todd?" Her mum asked taking a glance towards the boy following behind Jared.