Chapter 12

~ Edited

~ Edited

Sarah made her way into the house which was awfully quiet.

Seems mum is not yet back, she thought to herself while she dropped her bag on the floor and hurried into the kitchen to get something to eat.

She was starving.

Sarah rummaged through the fridge for any leftovers and settled for some pasta. She placed it in the microwave, sat down at the kitchen isle and waited for it to heat up. As she sat down, she listened to the quietness around. She took in her surroundings and wondered what it would feel like to have a sibling. Then, she would at least have someone to talk to and if at all, shout on when she comes home.

The microwave beeped, signaling that her food was heated already. Sarah took it out and went into the sitting room to eat while surfing through the channels on the TV.

Her phone went off besides her making her to look down towards it. The caller ID showed that it was her mum calling. She picked it on the third ring while dropping the TV remote on the table.

"Hello, mum," she said as she answered the call.

"Sarah, honey, how are you doing? How was school? Hope you've had dinner?" She asked immediately.

"Yes, mum. I am doing fine, school was fine and I was having dinner before your call came through." She replied.

"What? You are just having dinner now? Young lady, you know it's late and having late-night food isn't good for your health. What have you been doing for the past hours?" She complained.

"Mum, I know that but I was really busy with working on my essay for my history class at the library and lost track of time," Sarah explained.

"Okay, honey, if you say so, but try and use your time appropriately. Always remember, health is wealth." Her mum advised.

"Yes, mum. I would always keep that in mind. By the way, when are you coming home? Isn't your shift supposed to be over like two hours ago?" Sarah asked.

"Yes, honey but I have to join the ER unit. There was a major accident just outside of town and all hands have to be on deck. I called to let you know, I would be coming home late."

"Alright, mum. Just take care and don't overwork yourself," Sarah replied before she ended the call.

She dropped her phone beside her and settled down into the sofa to carry on with her food while watching a movie. When she had finished eating, she took the dishes to the sink and cleaned them off but she wasn't feeling sleepy. So, she decided on seeing another movie while she waited for her mum to come home.

~ ~ ~

The sound of the front door closing made Sarah jolt up from her sleep. She looked up at the wall clock and saw it was 12 A.M already. The TV was still on and another movie was playing already.

"Mum, are you back?" Sarah called out as she stood up and made her way to the door, but there was no answer and there was no one there.

Could it be that I heard wrongly? She asked herself. Forgetting about the sound, she decided to retire to bed but when she entered the parlor, she noticed that the TV channel had been changed.

Okay, I know that wasn't the movie playing before I left. She mumbled under her breath.

The hair at the nape of her neck stood on alert as she looked around wondering if there was anyone else in the house. Sarah made a move to get the remote from where she left it at the table but couldn't find it. She searched the sofa, thinking maybe she held it while she slept off but still couldn't find it there. As she kept on searching for the remote, the TV channel changed again and continued altering to different channels.

Sarah was shocked by the whole episode. She looked around her, but there was no one there with her. Now, this was getting really weird. She couldn't find the remote to the TV and the channels keep changing randomly.

What the hell was happening, she thought to herself while she stood up from the chair and turned around. Her palms were sweating already out of fear.

"Who's there?" She shouted out, but was met with utter silence.

Now, I'm talking to thin air! I really am going crazy, she mumbled.

Her phone went off making her to race towards it. She didn't bother on checking the caller ID and picked it up immediately.

"Hello," she answered but was met with silence on the other end of the line.

"Hello, can you hear me?" She tried again.

There was a chuckle from the receiving end before the person replied, "Yes, I can. You don't have to be so loud."

"Who the hell are you? What do you want from me?" She asked frenetically.

"Haha, honey, you have no idea about the things I want from you." The person replied before hanging up.

As the call ended, the front door opened with Sarah's mum coming in and looking at her like she was hysterical.

"Sarah, are you okay? I could hear you shouting from outside the house." She asked.

Sarah swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat before she replied her mother, "Ye..s, mu..m.. I'm o...kay."

"Are you sure about that? If there's something troubling you, you can talk to me about it," her mum offered.

"There's nothing troubling me mum. You don't have to worry yourself."

"Are you extremely sure about that? Your look states otherwise."

"I'm fine mum. You must have had a tiring day at the hospital while not go in and have a proper rest? I bet your legs are killing you from standing all day."

"Okay, if you say so." Her mum conceded but she still had a look that told Sarah that she didn't believe her. "I'm heading upstairs then. I need to freshen up and hit the bed. It was a really long day at the hospital." She yawned as she made her way upstairs to her room.

"Alright Mum, have a peaceful night rest," Sarah called after her.

"You too, honey."

Sarah put off the TV and also hurried upstairs but just as she was about to lie on the bed she received a message on her phone which confirmed her thoughts that she wasn't safe anymore.

You look lovely when you are sleep. Goodnight, my love...

 Goodnight, my love