we

15 | fifteen

The front door was unlocked as Stacey got home at eight at night.

She texted her mom beforehand and told her that she would be home late and had received a short and curt reply. She shut the door behind her and put her bag down on the ground that had her shirt and bra in it.

Scottie had let her keep the shirt for the night and she said that she could give it back in the morning at school.

Scottie said not to bother.

Most of the lights were off but the sitting room lights were shining into the hallway. Stacey headed over and slipped into the room, hearing the TV playing quietly as her mom sat on the couch.

"Hey," Stacey said and her mom glanced over, giving a polite smile. "Where's dad?"

"Working late," her mom said and Stacey nodded.

"Right," Stacey said and bit her lip, feeling the urge to ask her mom creeping up on her. "Uh, mom?"

"Yeah?" she asked, still looking at the TV.

"Can I talk to you about something?" Stacey asked and her mom looked over, raising an eyebrow.

"What?"

Stacey took a deep breath and looked away from her mom's gaze. "I...I saw the other night."

"What do you mean?"

"I saw you last night with...that guy." Stacy explained and her mom sighed.

"Stacey-"

"Are you cheating on dad?" Stacey asked and her mom looked at her, a look of bewilderment crossing her face.

"Oh don't give me that face." Stacey's mom said.

"What face?" Stacey frowned.

"As if I've done something that you wouldn't have."

"What...mom, what are you talking about?"

"Oh it's not news that you're sleeping with half the neighbourhood!" Her mom rolled her eyes and Stacey's mind suddenly wanted to shut down. "Don't go giving me a look as if you're better than me. You're just as bad as me, Stacey. Like mother, like daughter."

Stacey's lips parted and she blinked rapidly, looking away.

"And yes, I am cheating on your father," her mom said. "And that's only because he's been worrying about his job and you whoring around all the time."

Her mom looked back at the TV and Stacey finally had the strength to turn away and walk out of the room.

She walked like a robot on automatic towards her room and when she got inside, she shut the door, turned the lights off and crawled into bed.

She clenched her eyes shut as the first tear fell.

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram