Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

(Azkular)

A cool breeze wafted through the forest, rustling the branches Commander Azkular tree as he glared down at the Slayer's camp like a hawk.

The sight made his fiery blood run cold.

There were thousands of them, he realized now. When the dwarf had reported to him, he had hoped without really hoping that they were merely passing by, on their way to attack another target. As horrible as it was to wish the Slayers' wrath upon another Mythic, his priority was keeping Jellaska Kob Lertan safe. Mythics living outside the underground city weren't his concern.

But that hope had proven to be false, as he'd known it would. A hundred Slayers, or even a thousand, could have passed by the Sanctuary with another purpose in mind. But five thousand of them, all camped less than half a mile away from the mountain... Azkular could only come to one conclusion.

The djinn growled, trying to smother his fear with anger. How dare this scum come here, to his Sanctuary? It didn't matter how infuriated he became, though­— Azkular had only fifty Mythic soldiers to take on an army of five thousand Slayers.

Moving with feet so light that they didn't even shake the branch, he turned and stalked his way back to the trunk, and jumped down to rejoin his men.

"Commander?" the sasquatch asked. He didn't know if the situation was as bad as they'd feared. Azkular hated having to be the one to break the bad news.

"They've found the Sanctuary," he answered through gritted teeth, "and it's up to us to stop them."

A murmur of fear ran through his soldiers, but nobody protested. For that, he was immensely proud of them.

"There are over five thousand of them," he said, the truth weighing down his soul with every word. "We can't hope to defeat them. All we can do is get their attention, and hope we can lead them away from the Sanctuary."

Nobody responded to this, because there was nothing to say. Even if every one of his loyal soldiers could kill five Slayers, they would barely put a dent into their attack force. Attack them, and then run the other way. That was their only hope.

And there was no more point in thinking about it.

(Porter)

Porter refused to look at Sarah the entire time they were being taken to the cell.

She lied to me, he thought. She's been lying to me all along. She even admitted it, herself.

And if she'd been lying, then that meant Other Porter had been telling the truth. Porter didn't know which thought made him feel sicker.

The sphinx kept pace beside him, walking awkwardly because of the shackles around her legs. Behind them, five Mythics were prodding them with their weapons, ordering them to move faster. Sarah stepped on a damp section of stone, and was sent crashing onto her side.