Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

(Porter)

"Everyone, get behind me!" Porter commanded, holding Flicker up in a threatening stance. Tick whimpered a little when he saw the men in the black coats, and went to hide behind Sarah. To Ozzie, Porter said, "Don't get in our way. Just let us go."

The Asian young man's grin fell off his face, and he looked down at Sarah. "I know what you did to him, you little freak. You erased his memory, didn't you?"

"Shut up!" Porter yelled, and Ozzie took half a step backwards. "She told me the truth. She saved my life— from you!"

Ozzie spread his arms in disbelief. "Seriously, dude? You're listening to the monster? That thing is your target!"

"If you call her an it or a thing one more time," Porter warned him, letting the light bounce noticeably off Flicker's blade, "I'm going to ram this through your chest."

Ozzie frowned at him, and held up his knife. "Don't do this, Porter. We're best friends. Master Mortoph sent me to find you after you disappeared!"

Porter's face went red with anger. "Shut up and get out of our way!"

Ozzie shook his head. "I can't do that!"

"Fine." Porter wrapped both hands around Flicker's hilt and raised it above his head. "I'll make you move!"

With that, he charged at Ozzie, and swung his sword downwards. He didn't know if he actually had it in him to kill the Slayer, but he wouldn't have a problem knocking him out. Ozzie reacted slower than Porter expected, and only just managed to block the attack with his little knife. He slid the tiny blade up Porter's longer blade, and Porter had to thrust away from him to keep Ozzie from getting within striking distance. To Ozzie's right, the man with the black eyes whipped another dagger out of his coat.

"I've got this!" Ozzie yelled, seeing him out of the corner of his eye. "Get the sphinx!"

"No!" Porter shouted, moving to stop him. Ozzie stepped in front of him, swinging his knife and making Porter pause to deflect it. While he did that, the other Slayer charged at Sarah.

"Sarah, Tick," Porter called, glancing backwards at his two friends, "run!"

(Sarah)

"Tick, move!" Sarah snapped as the Slayer closed in on them. The hallway was narrow, and going forward would only take them closer to him. Their only option, she realized as she walked backwards into Tick, was to retreat into the archive.

The Slayer came to the edge of the black floor, paused for a moment— and then vanished.

"Where'd he go?" Tick demanded.

"Just keep moving," Sarah told him. Not that it would do them any good. The archive was even narrower than the hallway leading to it. There was no way they could get out without running straight into him.