Chapter Five

Chapter Five

(Porter)

The boy groaned as feeling slowly returned to his body. His head was throbbing. Why? Had something hit him? He couldn't remember, and pain spiked inside his skull every time he tried. The boy tried to open his eyes and look around, but the motion made his leg hurt and he involuntarily let out a moan. He heard a gasp in front of him, and the air brushed against his face, as if something had moved quickly.

Then an earsplitting shriek rang out!

Startled, his eyes shot open, and he lurched away from the noise, but stopped when his leg and head throbbed simultaneously. The pain couldn't mask what he saw, though. There, standing right in front of him, was a lion. Something was wrong with it, though. Its head was deformed, almost giving it the appearance of a girl's face. A human girl.

(Sarah)

When Sarah saw the young Slayer, all the terror she had felt in the manor came back to her. Her first instinct was to bolt, get far away from him. Something held her back, though. She looked at him. There was something different about him now. It was, she realized, the fact that he seemed utterly terrified just by the sight of her. Something wasn't right here. There was sweat rolling down his skin, and he was hyperventilating. If he was acting, he was doing an incredibly good job at it. Still, it would be stupid to believe that the one who had just been about to kill her had somehow undergone a complete change of heart in less than five minutes.

Tentatively, she placed her front paw forward. The Slayer's eyes widened in fear, and he scrambled to get further away from her. From the look of pain on his face, she guessed that he must be injured somehow.

(Porter)

What's going on? The boy thought desperately, what is that thing?

He began trying to think of a way to escape, but with his leg the way it was, running was impossible. The monster eyed him carefully.

It's going to eat me!

The lion-creature raised one of its front paws, and took a slow step towards him. The boy flinched, even though the thing was still too far away to touch him, and nearly cried out in pain. Whatever had happened, he guessed that his leg must be broken. The monster watched, fascinated by his reactions. He could almost believe that he could see anger in its deformed, human-shaped face. Whatever this thing was, it didn't like him one bit.

(Sarah)

Sarah began to contemplate her options. The smart thing to do would be to leave the Slayer here to die and try to find her way to a Sanctuary. There, she could contact her parents and put this entire mess behind her.

Another side of her suggested a different option. Perhaps she could kill the Slayer and then find the Sanctuary. The first part wouldn't be too hard, with the boy injured. The more she thought about it, the more she liked that idea.