Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

(Ozzie)

The fairy army, Ozzie thought as he leaned back against a tree. A worthy challenge for the heroic Slayer, Ozzie Druid!

He was lying at the bottom of the hill, less than a hundred feet from his thousand tiny foes, and the sun was beginning to set. He yawned. Watching the fairies all day hadn't been hard work, but it was dull. Apart from shifting around, making hypnotic patterns with their colors, they hadn't done anything.

I wonder where Porter is? he thought idly as he watched the stars come out. In truth, he wasn't as happy here as he'd thought he would be. Sure, helping the Slayers find a huge number of monsters to kill was rewarding enough, but not when his best friend was out there somewhere, being held captive by an even bigger monster. Every minute he spent here at this hill carried Porter farther away from him.

"Well, what are you gonna do?" he asked himself, yawning again. Master Mortoph had commanded that he watch the fairies, and so he would watch the fairies. Everyone thought he was insane— heck, he probably was a little insane. But was he insane enough to disobey the Master Slayer? Not by a long shot.

Oh, and speaking of, Ozzie thought when three soft pings came from the mirror in his pocket. Pushing back the sleepiness that had been about to pull him under, Ozzie sat up and pulled it out. Instead of his reflection, he found himself looking at Mortoph, his expression as chilling as it always was.

"Are you well, Ozzie?" he asked.

"Yes, Master Mortoph," Ozzie answered. "I've done as you asked, and spent the entire day observing the fairies. They don't move or anything. They just stay in that one place."

"I have spoken to Alexander Himaly about it, and I believe the two of us have come to a conclusion about what this could be. Have you ever heard of the Historians' Tower?

"No, Master Mortoph," Ozzie said, shaking his head.

"It is a legend the monsters have passed down for generations," Mortoph explained. "They say there is a great white tower somewhere in the forest, where the monsters work together to write down all of history."

Ozzie tried to hold in his incredulous snort, but failed. Mortoph glowered at him, and Ozzie covered his mouth, trying to hide his smile. Monsters recording history. Right. Next, Mortoph would say that he was auditioning for the ballet.

After a moment, Mortoph went on, "What interests me the most is that they say the tower is situated in the middle of what they call the Fairies' Field."

Hearing this, Ozzie's smile fell from his face so fast he was surprised his mouth stayed attached.

"And..." he stuttered, pointing at the hill, trying to wrap his head around what Mortoph was implying. "And you think that's what I found?"