What if we Drown (56)

Derek's apartment hadn't changed since the last time she'd been there

Derek's apartment hadn't changed since the last time she'd been there. Scattered books with bent spines and dog-eared pages claimed the living space, and the woolen blanket was still draped over the arm of the sofa where she'd left it.

Her favorite thing, however, was the scent of crisp green apple that still clung to the air, wrapping itself around Ashlyn as she fell back against the couch, exhausted despite the 24 hours she'd just spent in a hospital bed.

His home still feels like a home, she thought, her eyes wandering around the room. A fresh wave of relief washed over her, the state of his apartment a welcome reminder that he'd meant it when he'd said he wouldn't leave her.

You never unpacked? Ashlyn asked, her head tilted towards the two duffel bags beside the front door.

Placing two glasses of water on the coffee table, Derek scooched into the space at her side, his arm reaching across the back of the sofa so he could play with her hair.

"I never had the time. This is the first I've been here since getting home." He shrugged, as though it weren't important, but to Ashlyn, it meant so much more. After his tests had come back clear, and the staff had been confident that hypothermia posed no threat, Derek had been discharged, while she'd been kept overnight for observation due to her levels of saltwater ingestion.

He'd been set free, yet, he'd stayed. For her.

Tipping her head back, she looked up at him in awe, the smile on her lips a silent testament of her appreciation.

"When are you going to believe me when I say I'm not leaving you again?" He chuckled, his finger tapping the end of her nose. Scrunching her nose, Ashlyn grinned back.

I believe you, but that doesn't mean I'll ever get tired of hearing you repeat it, again, and again." Sweet honey eyes sparkled with playful humor, her words cut off abruptly when Derek's hands seized her waist, and his tickle attack ensued.

Ashlyn threw back her head as the sharp peals of laughter echoed around her, her arms and her legs thrashing to ward off his attack. She was a panting, sweaty mess by the time she'd managed to stutter a "stop."

Derek's relentless attack halted, his hands shifting to wrap around her waist as he pulled her closer. Draping her legs over his, Ashlyn turned into his side, her head resting against his shoulder.

Trailing her fingers over his heart in time with the sweet lullaby his even breaths orchestrated, her gaze wandered, catching sight of the beanbag in the corner and the empty space beside it.

Leaning her head back, she waited for Derek to look at her.

You moved Liam's guitar?

Derek nodded, one of his hands rising to twist around her curls again.