What if we Drown (8)

The next day it was like a switch had flicked, and Ashlyn could no longer access the person she had been the previous night

The next day it was like a switch had flicked, and Ashlyn could no longer access the person she had been the previous night. Without the photo she looked at now, she wouldn't have believed that it had occurred. The peace and joy, it all seemed so foreign, like a dream.

The echoes of just one night floated around her as Derek stepped up to the counter.

Her smile was subdued as memories of the previous evening came back to her. The erratic beating of her heart and the joy that was coursing through her veins. The feeling of unadulterated peace, followed by the surprise of holding his hand in hers. Her hands felt clammy already just thinking about it.

Good morning. Ashlyn wiped her palms on her apron, before busying herself with the sugar packets. She appreciated anything that could keep her busy at that moment.

Derek's grin consumed his expression as he waved to Ashlyn and then Kass. "Morning, ladies," he greeted.

"Morning Sailor. Your usual?" Kass inquired, handing the previous customer their cinnamon scroll.

He's not a sailor, Kass. Ashlyn moved on to restocking the stirrers.

"He works on a boat, ergo a sailor," Kass retorted stubbornly. Derek's chuckle interrupted the two of them before their debate could develop further.

"The usual would be great, thank you," he answered, and leaned against the counter. Ashlyn's hands stalled with the stirrers, her gaze dropping to his hands resting before her. They looked dry. But that's not how they felt last night, she thought. Her cheeks began to warm, and she turned away quickly.

Avoiding eye contact with both Derek and Kass, Ashlyn stepped away from the counter and towards the coffee machine. Welcoming the new distraction, Ashlyn moved to grind the beans for his coffee. The fluttering in her stomach just from being near him made her feel queasy.

Maybe last night was a mistake, she thought, tamping the coffee grind a little too tight.

"I know what you're thinking, and you're wrong." Kass' voice brushed Ashlyn's hair as she passed. Ashlyn turned to glance at Kass standing behind her and shrugged apologetically. The stern look that Kass wore stopped her from rebutting.

Ashlyn's gaze darted towards Derek before bouncing back to Kass. She needed to learn to masque her thoughts better, especially when Kass was around.

Don't go there, Ash, Kass signed, a warning about the treacherous waters Ashlyn was wading towards. Ashlyn nodded, but the thoughts did not go away.

"Excited for your first day on the docks, Derek?" Kass turned back to the front counter and handed him an orange chocolate muffin enclosed in a paper bag. Ashlyn watched him from the corner of her eye as she steamed the milk. His jaw was taut, and his left eye twitched, giving away his true feelings about the day before he even spoke.