What if we Drown (43)

"So, do you two have plans to meet up again later?" Kass' elbow nudged Ashlyn's ribs, her lips turned suggestively

Placing the change in the register, Ashlyn shrugged.

He mentioned popping down later. I don't know, though. Maybe.

Ashlyn tried her best to remain indifferent for appearance's sake, but behind the facade was a little child who clung to the pinky promise that had been forged between them, ever hopeful that he would make an appearance throughout the day.

"Girl, just try and keep him away now." Amused laughter came from the cupboard below, where Kass searched for more takeaway cups.

Turning back to the next customer in line, Ashlyn gave a welcoming smile.

"Yeah, hi. Can I get two cappuccinos and an almond biscotti," the male said, patting down his pockets in search of his wallet.

"On it, Nigel," Kass responded to the regular as she popped back up, the coffee machine already whirring with the beans it ground.

Ringing up the order, Ashlyn handed over a dainty table number before stepping away from the vacant counter.

With a bounce in her step, she drifted from table to table, wiping them down and clearing the dirty dishes. Tossing a friendly smile to those who watched on, Ashlyn felt as though she were walking on air. A weight had lifted, granting her the freedom to soar as she'd once dreamed.

"You're in good spirits today," one of the locals said, clearing space on their table for the plate of salad she carried.

It's a great day to feel good, Ashlyn answered, taking back the number from the center of the table.

It was a great day indeed.

The rest of the morning played out in much the same fashion, and Ashlyn found herself stealing glances at the front door in between customers, hoping to see him approach. The thought that at any moment she would smell his signature scent, which brought to her those hands she loved so much, made her giddy with excitement.

Would he kiss her, here, in front of everyone? Would she let him? Her heart skipped a beat at the thoughts she began to have, her mind vacating in favor of the magical balcony above.

She wondered if he thought of her too.

With an excited tremor in her hands, Ashlyn placed two cappuccinos down on the table in front of her, jumping slightly when the sound of a door slamming above cracked the air. Several splashes of coffee slipped over the rim of the cup.

Heavy footfall fell upon the stairs, angry, garbled sounds passing through the walls. At those sounds, Ashlyn was dragged back down from the clouds upon which she drifted.

Raising her head, she turned towards the wall as though she could see through it to the source of the commotion.

That wasn't Derek's voice. But it wasn't a voice she recognized from around town either.