What if we Drown (1)

"

"... The storm is gaining strength as it heads towards Maine. Heavy rain, strong winds, and large waves are expected. All residents of the coastal areas are being urged to remain indoors, and where possible, evacuate to higher ground..." The radio crackled in the corner of Val's Diner.

Ashlyn watched in shock as the waves crashed furiously over the pier and onto the streets outside. The angry wind growled, plants and rubbish tossed carelessly down the road. The men moved quickly around her, boarding all the windows and doors; the Diner growing darker and darker with each board fitted.

"Just a precaution." One of the men smiled as they tousled her hair. But the smile never met their eyes. Ashlyn nodded, uncertain of their assurances, and bent to look under another board. A crack of lightning caused her to jump back and squeal in shock.

"Ashlyn? Ashlyn! Get away from the window," her Mother, Cassia, cried out from across the room as she unsuccessfully tried to soothe the wailing child in her arms.

"I'm sorry, mama," Ashlyn answered as she left her spot by the window and rushed back to her Mothers side. She hadn't meant to give her mother cause to worry. She'd only wanted to know what was happening.

Her gaze danced around the room, observing many families, old and young, gathered around the floor, each keeping to themselves. Children sat in their parents' laps, clinging to them as they sought refuge from the noise outside. People cried, and some prayed in the darkness, while others whispered soothing comforts to one another.

Her friend, Kassandra, sat against the wall with her Abuela, lips quickly reciting while she rotated the old wooden beads through her fingers. Every so often, her sharp gaze cut to Kass beside her, silently scolding her for the gazes she stole of the cake on the counter before her. Kass appeared to be the only one unaffected by what was going on outside as she pouted in the corner. 

Overwhelmed by all the emotions around her, Ashlyn slid closer to her mother's side and held her brother Zion's hand as he slept restlessly in his mother's lap. Many had their fathers with them. She did not.

"Mommy, when will Daddy be here?" She asked, looking up, her words laced with worry.

"Soon, baby. Soon." Her voice cracked, betraying her fear. It was at that moment Ashlyn knew something was very wrong. The unshed tears in her mothers' eyes confirmed as such.

Mr. Evans leaned over to whisper to her mother, "he's going to make it." He squeezed her hand.

"...The area of Glassmont remains in lockdown as the storm continues to pass through the coast. The Coastguard has yet to make contact with the team aboard the Clear Water Fishing Vessel. The Coastguard is making every attempt..."

Ashlyn whimpered. That was her father's boat. She looked around again as several pairs of eyes glanced her way, each filled with pity, their whispers reaching her where she sat.