What if we Drown (42)

The wooden door was cool against Ashlyn's forehead, her knuckles resting in the grooves

Hesitation held her there for a moment, her thoughts catching up with the emotion that coursed through her veins.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped back and tapped on the door, her grin doing all sorts of silly things while she waited.

When several moments passed, and Kass had yet to answer the door, Ashlyn began tapping her foot impatiently.

Ashlyn knocked again.

"Just a minute," Kass called from the other side.

Come on, Kass. Ashlyn's thoughts were impatient, her internal thoughts holding their own whine.

Leaning forward, her forehead pressed against the door as the seconds slowly ticked by. One by one, they piled upon one another, each one more agonizing than the next. What was taking her so long?

Suddenly a lock released, the door gave way, and Ashlyn was falling through the air. Fumbling, she caught herself against the door handle, a giggle tickling at the back of her throat.

Breathless and flushed, she righted herself, rubbing at the tender spot which had begun to form on her elbow.

"Ash, hey! I wasn't expecting you to drop by." Kass' grinned, an amused sparkle in her eyes as she reached back to tie her hair in a messy ponytail.

Rolling her eyes, Ashlyn chuckled at the pun. She'd deserved that.

Tugging at the hem of her shirt, she attempted to straighten out the creases. When her palms began to sweat, she brushed them against the fabric of her shorts, all while her thoughts continued to pass her by, searching for the best way to broach the subject of her morning.

Kass' gaze followed Ashlyn's hands, taking in the disheveled appearance of her best friend. With her messy hair, scrunched clothing, and the flush in her cheeks, she must have been quite a sight.

If not for the elated grin that split her cheeks, Ashlyn knew Kass would have been shocked. Instead, she tilted her head and appraised her friend.

"Okay, you either got into a fight with a tree or something, or-" Kass' eyes lit up suddenly, her expression shifting from awareness to joy. "Oh!"

Laughing, Ashlyn tried to gesture for Kass to keep it down, but Kass didn't pay any attention.

"You didn't?" She squealed, her noises of excitement matching pitch to Lorraine's from earlier. Ashlyn's gestures grew sharper, urging her friend to keep it down.

Pushing against Kass' shoulders, Ashlyn rushed inside and kicked the door shut.

"Tell me everything," Kass said, stressing no detail be left unspoken.