Chapter 30

--Keefe's POV--

          I knew something was up when Sophie left the meeting. But ever since she manifested as an Empath she's been able to put a wall around her emotions. So I couldn't check her emotions to figure out what she was feeling. 

          "Guys, Foster's acting weird. I'm going to go check on her," I say, standing up.

          "Okay, just keep it PG," Biana replies, not looking up from the map she's been studying.

          "Yeah, keep it PG. I don't need another cousin," Dex says crossing his arms and giving me the, I'm not joking, look.

          "Woah, why are we talking about this?" I ask putting my arms up in surrender. 

          "I agree with Mr. Sencen. Why are you guys talking about that? You guys are way too young to know about that," Mr. Forkle says and Alden nods along with him.

          "Umm we are 15. We are not to young to know abou-"

          "Okay, we don't need to be saying the words," Tam says interrupting Biana and covering her mouth. "I know about, that, but Linh has no idea what you are talking about and I'd like to keep it that way." 

          I shake my head and make my way outside but not before I hear Linh say, 

          "Tam, no matter how hard you try make me stay a child and keep me innocent, you're always going to fail. Actually you already failed because I do know what you guys are talking about and I am fighting in a war so there is no way I'm still a child."

          I can feel Tam's emotions shift to embarrassment and I chuckle to myself. I open the front door and walk around looking for Foster. I find her sitting on a boulder with something in her hands. I walk over to her and as soon as she hears me she puts that something in her pocket. 

          "Are you okay?" I ask her as I sit down next to her.

          "No, I'm not. I can't stop worrying about my parents."

          "Hey, we'll find them. I won't ever stop looking for them until we get them back."

          Sophie stays silent as she intwines our fingers and lays her head on my shoulder.

          "What was the thing you hid in your pocket?" I ask her after a couple of minutes.

          "It's just a picture of Grady, Edaline and me. I grabbed it before we left Havenfield."

          I can tell she's lying even if I can't feel it. So I try something that might get her to tell me.

          "Foster, you can't lie to an Empath," I say in a warning tone. 

          "Keefe, you can't trick an Empath," she replies in a mocking tone.

          "Wait, did you just admit that you were lying to me?" 

          "No, I didn't. I just wanted to warn you not to try to trick me."

          "I still don't believe you..." 

          "And I don't care. Just sit here with me and let us live in this moment."

~~~~~

--Sophie's POV--

          As much as I hate lying to Keefe, I have to. He'd never let me go to the Neverseen. Even if it's the only way to save my parents. He's just a little over protective of me and I want to spend one more night with his arms around me so that I can feel protected for one last time. Because after tonight, nothing will ever protect me or make me feel safe ever again.

          I feel something tug at my pocket and I immediately react. I grab onto Keefe's hand and stop him. I pull out from his grip and turn to look at him. He looks extremely worried. I look away and grab the Neverseen's note out of my pocket, making sure to hide the white eye symbol.

          "Keefe-" I start.

          "No, let me say something. I don't know what you are hiding but I want to help you," Keefe says, interrupting me.

          "Keefe, you can't help me with this. No one can. I have to do this on my own even if I don't want to. It's the only way I'll be able to save my parents. We both know that the Neverseen always have something up their sleeve. We also know that they have a new plan, a plan that we have no insight on. We can't stop them this time unless I do this."

          "Foster, we've been through so much together. We've been fighting in this war since we were 12. You know that we're better together. Let's go tell the others this plan of yours so that we can all help," Keefe says, trying to convince me to let him help.

          "Keefe, you don't get it! The plan is only meant for one person! No one can help with this!" I say standing up and I start pacing. 

          I can't decide if I'm actually going to do this. If I do than I'll have to battle my friends and family. But if I don't my parents will end up getting hurt.

          "Okay, okay, calm down. You're freaking out so much that I can actually feel your emotions while you're trying to block me." He grabs my hands and pulls my pacing to a stop. "How about this, I let you think about this by yourself and I'll come back in a little to check on you."

          I nod my head and hand the Neverseen's note to him. "Don't open this until you are with everyone else. Okay?"

          "Okay."

          With that, Keefe walks back to the house and I wait until I hear the front door close. I walk over to the edge of forest that surrounds Everglen's property. I turn around one last time at the house. I take a deep breath and stretch my conscience out until I can here everyone's thoughts inside the house. 

I'm sorry. But I have to do this.

With that, I run into the forest and when I'm far enough out I levitate as high as possible. But before I drop I hear all my friends calling out my name. With tears in my eyes, I let myself drop.

~~~~~~~~~~

AHHHHHHH!!!!! The first book is done!!!!! Guys, go follow me for updates on the sequel because I will not be adding updates to this book. 

I would just like to thank you all for the wonderful support you have given me throughout this book. I would like to give a shoutout to those who have stayed with me throughout writing this story. 

The sequel will most likely not come out until after KOTLC 8.5 is released. I'm going to write the whole sequel before publishing the first chapter that way I can publish every chapter at once and let you guys enjoy it without waiting for my slow ass to write the next chapters.

Anyways, thank you for reading my story and please tell me what you thought. Don't forget to vote and follow me for updates on the sequel. I'll see you guys when I finish writing the sequel. I love you all! Stay safe!! Bye!!