Chapter 17

I wake up to fingers brushing my forehead. I rub my eyes to see that Keefe is no longer next to me. Then who touched me? I look around, but I don't see anyone.

          "Keefe?" I call but a hand clamps my mouth shut.

          "If you scream, you're going to regret it." Why is Fitz in here?

          He slowly takes his hand off my mouth. I open my mouth and scream. He quickly covers my mouth again but I realize that I can't see him. I grab the invisible arm and twist it. I know that will cause him to be flung backward on the ground. I hear a small oof and then Fitz appears with a Biana tied to him. Her hands are bound together and her mouth is taped shut.

          I quickly untie Biana and she rips the tape off her mouth. I take the ropes that were bound to Biana and tie them around Fitz. He tries to escape but I elbow him in the ribs causing him to gasp for air. I hear the door open behind me and Keefe is by my side within seconds.

          "How the heck did Fitz get into the house without getting shocked?" Keefe demands.

          "While we were playing base quest, Fitz grabbed me and tied my hands to his arm. He tapped my mouth shut and demanded that I make us both Vanish. If I didn't, he would make sure that he would figure out how to get to my parents," Biana explains. "So I did what he asked and he came up here to where Sophie was. He woke her up and when she realized it was him, she did this crazy move that threw Fitz and me over her shoulder."

          "Sophie, are you okay?" Keefe asks.

          "She wouldn't have been okay if I finished what I was doing!" Fitz said.

          I yank him up using telekinesis and push him up against the wall. Red starts to rim my vision and Fitz can tell. 

          "And what was that? And just for your information, if you refuse to tell us you'll regret it." The red beam of light that hits the person I'm about Inflict on appears and inches its way to Fitz.

          "Woah, Foster, just calm down. We don't need Fitz's brain fried before we search it." Keefe places a hand on my shoulder. "Put him down."

          And put him down I do, but I can't promise that it was gentle. Fitz falls to the ground hard, and I would know. I lifted him high and then let him drop. 

          "Thank you. Now Biana, can you go hail Forkel? Dex, please go hail the Council. The rest of you watch Fitz." Keefe pulls me towards the door.

          "And what are you going to do, Keefe?" Tam asks.

          "I'm going to calm down all of the Foster rage." With that, I'm pulled out of the house.

          "Where the heck are you taking me Sencen?" I demand.

          "We are going somewhere that will calm you down because I can feel the anger coming off you like a tsunami. We are also staying there until you calm down and Fitz isn't at Everglen," he replies.

          "Keefe Sencen, you didn't answer my question!! You didn't tell me where we are going!" I give him a pointed look.

          "I know, I did that on purpose. Also, that rage has turned into furry. Don't make me go all Emapth on you." He pokes my side, which he knows is one of my ticklish spots.

          I crack a small smile and Keefe throws me over his shoulder causing me to laugh. He grins and sets me back down.

          "My job is now complete! I have made Sophie Foster laugh!" He pumps his fist into the air triumphantly. "I have also made the Foster rage go away!!"

          "Making me laugh doesn't count!" I yell as I head off running in the opposite direction as Keefe. 

          "What is it with you and running away from me Foster? I mean, come on!! I can't be that bad of a boyfriend." He runs after me making me laugh even harder.

          When he catches up to me, we end up rolling down a hill. We both laugh as we come to a halt. I try to get up but Keefe pulls me back down. He kisses me and I kiss him back. I don't care what happens in this war, as long as Keefe is always by my side. 

          I pull back and look at Keefe. I study the color of his eyes, the way his mouth curls up into a smile, the warmth that always radiates off him.

          "What are you thinking about, Foster?" he asks.

          "Just want to remember everything about you. Just in case, you know, something happens to you," I reply.

          "Nothing, I repeat, nothing is going to take me from you and nothing is going to take you from me. I'll make sure of it." He pulls me into a hug and he doesn't let go for what feels like an eternity.

          When we do finally pull apart, Keefe grabs my hand and pulls me over to the cliff next to us.

          "Wait, if we wouldn't have stopped rolling," I start, "We would have gone right over the edge."

          "Yup, but I'm safe with you when we're free-falling. Now, let's make a grand entrance and scare the heck out of our friends." He pulls me closer to the edge.

          I search for the thoughts of my friends and see that they are in the kitchen with Della. I back up a bit, pulling Keefe with me, and sprint over the edge. I hear Keefe scream like he's having fun, as I imagine the kitchen in Everglen. 

          We appear right behind everyone and when the sky cracks with thunder, they all jump in surprise. Marella creates a ball of fire out of habit and Biana screams. Dex steps in front of Biana and Tam does the same with Lihn.

          When they realize it's us Keefe bursts out laughing, I giggle a bit too. Dex walks over to me and slaps my arm playfully,

          "What was that for?" He asks.

          "Just thought we'd lighten up the mood a bit," Keefe and I say at the same time.

          Everyone just rolls their eyes and go back to baking. I sit on the counter, watching since I burn everything I try to bake. They all look peaceful, and I intend to keep it that way, no matter the cost.