Chapter 9

3 Weeks Later

           "Sophie, time to get up." I roll over and hide under my pillow. "Foster, you're going to be late for school."

          With that, I jump out of bed and hurry to get ready. I hear laughing behind me and I turn around. There's Keefe, sitting on my bed holding his side as he laughs his head off.

          "Foster--there--is--no--school," Keefe said between laughs.

          I throw a pillow at him using telekinesis and it hits him square in the face. I run into the bathroom to get ready. I hear a knock on the door,

          "Foster, I was kidding out being late for school, but you're about to be late to your weird, brain searching thing with Fitz," Keefe pauses, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

          "When am I sure of anything that involves the Neverseen?" I replied.

          "True, very true." That earns him another pillow to the head. "Anyways, we've got to go."

          Keefe grabs my hand and pulls me out the door to the Leapmaster. But as we stand under the crystals Grady comes up the stairs.

          "Hello, kido," Grady says hugging me, "Hello Keefe." Grady still hasn't gotten used to Keefe and I dating.

          "Hello, Mr. Ruewen," Keefe says nodding his head to Grady, "We were just about to go meet with Forkel. Foster is going to search through Fitz's memories."

          "Keefe, if you feel any weird emotions from Sophie, please, pull her out of Fitz's mind," Grady puts a hand on Keefe's shoulder and leaned towards Keefe and whispered something to him.

          Keefe nodded and reached for my hand again, yelling, "FOXFIRE!"

-----

          When we reached Magnate Leto's office, I step in front of Keefe, not letting him pass me until I got an answer.

          "What did Grady tell you?" I demand. "I know it had something to do with me. So don't try to deny it."

          "He just told me to take care of you, that's all," I give him a look that says, 'Tell me the truth', "Sophie, I'm not lying."

          "Fine, I believe you." 

          Then all of a sudden, a wave of relief went through my body. I hit me so fast that I stumbled back. I bent over and placed my hands on my knees, trying to catch my breath.

         "Sophie, are you okay?" Keefe asks as a wave of worry hits me.

          "I don't know what's going on." I gasp, "My emotions have a mind of their own. One minute I was fine. Then, when I said that I believe you, a wave of relief went through me. After that, when you asked if I was okay, a wave of worry hit me."

          Keefe curses under his breath. He starts asking me lots of questions, but they are drowned out by the fear and worry taking over my mind. It starts getting hard to breathe, and panic overwhelms me. I hear Keefe yell for someone and then there's the pounding of footsteps. I get picked up and recognize Mr. Forkel. He's carrying me in a bridal style and starts running. The panic, fear, and worry get so strong that I wonder if I've finally lost my mind.

          Mr. Forkel stops running and sets me down on a cot. Yes, the Healing Center, Elwin will be able to get rid of the emotions. Wait, emotions? Forkel is yelling for someone to go out in the hallway. Then I hear someone slam the door.