Chapter 11

--Keefe's POV--

          It's been a week since Sophie was taken and all of our friends have been looking far and wide for her. But I've been transmitting to her every second that I can. Mr. Forkel and I found out that I can transmit almost as far as Sophie can, or could. Forkel and I have been searching for her thoughts and we can never pick up on anything. I've thought about turning myself in for her, but Forkel thinks that's what the Neverseen want. So, I spend every waking moment looking for any sign of the Neverseen.

          I was just about to transmit to Sophie, again, when my imparter went off. I grab it and answer.

          "Yes?" I say to the wrinkled face that appears. "I thought you said that you were only going to hail me if you found anything or heard anything from Sophie."

          "Well," Mr. Forkel said slowly, "We did find where one of their hideouts are. I searched every member in there for any thoughts on Sophie."

          I sat up straighter and ran for my pathfinder.

          "Well, did you hear anything about her?" I ask changing the crystal's facet to our new hideout, Northhaven.

          "Yeah, but the thoughts were Fitz's. So we're thinking that we found her."

          "I will be right there." I create the path and practically jump into the beam of light.

          I appear in front of Biana, Dex, Lihn, Marella, and Wylie. Our group missing three people, Tam, Fitz, and Foster. Biana runs up to me and gives me a crushing hug. 

          "We found Tam but the only thing we found about Sophie was in Fitz's thoughts," Biana whispered. 

          I look around at all of our friends, and sure enough, there's Tam. Lihn is holding onto him like there's a chance he'll be taken away again. Dex is right next to them, on his knees, crying. I let go of Biana and go over to him. I wrap him in a hug and ask him what Biana didn't tell me.

          "We found Fitz and he kept yelling about how Sophie is long gone. Forkel searched his mind to see what room Sophie was being held in. And, well, just go see for yourself." Dex pointed to a hole in the side of the mountain. 

          I ran to the opening and looked around for Forkel. After three corridors and fifteen doors, I found Forkel sitting outside an open door. I run around the corner and stop short at the sight of the room. Blood is everywhere. It's smeared on the floor as if Sophie was trying to slide to the door. But what scares me the most is how big that puddle of blood is in the far corner. Right next to the puddle is a shamkniv and I note next to it. On the front, my name is printed in shaky handwriting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Keefe,

I know this will upset you, but they are torturing me more than they did the first time they kidnapped me. If I were you, I would have a true Planting for me. I love you with all my heart, but there's no way you can find me. They move me every time you think you've found them. They don't know that I wrote this, but if they find out, I'm as good as dead. 

I can bring tears to your eyes and a smile on your face. I form in an instant and last for a lifetime, but I can be forgotten.