Chapter 19

--Sophie's POV-- 

          "Promise," I said.

          I'm never going to be able to keep this promise but I might as well let Keefe believe. The Neverseen will stop at nothing to get their hands on me. Even if it means tearing down the Lost Cities to do so. Which means I have to do something.

          "Come on, let's go back inside and enjoy time with our friends." Keefe got up and held out his hand to me.

          I took it and let him lead me back to the house. I started to notice that I was turning back into zombie Sophie, all I felt was numb. Like I was preparing myself for the death that was coming if I went back to the Neverseen.

          "Sophie," Keefe warned, "Don't go all zombie on me. Not after I just got you back." I nod. "Nope, it's official, I'm not letting you out of my sight and I'm making you get some sleep tonight. I'm betting you're getting absolutely no sleep."

          A small smile creeps to my lips as I say, "I'm getting plenty of sleep."

          "And I wonder why..." Keefe says, smirking.

          I will admit, I've slept better than I have in years. But that might be because I've been sleeping next to Keefe. But that was only for one night, right after the whole Fitz thing.

          "Don't make fun of me." I pull my hand from his and cross my arms.

          "Hey, I'm just joking. It's kinda cute when you curl up right next to me. Also, it helps me sleep as well." He pulls me close to him.

          "Except for when you decided to go play Base Quest without me," I say.

          "Hey," he says defensively. "You looked so peaceful and I know how little sleep you get. So I thought to myself, 'Why don't I let her sleep? It would give someone else a chance to win Base Quest.'" I roll my eyes.

          "Fine, I guess I could give you guys a chance to win. But that doesn't excuse the fact that you didn't even tell me what you were doing. What if I woke up on my own and I didn't see anyone with me? You know how wild my imagination is."

          "Foster, you're so cute when you get feisty. Come on, let's go inside before Biana gets any other ideas of what we're doing." With that, we go inside.

--Fitz's POV--

          Ugh, they can't even argue without complementing each other. I can't stand seeing her with him. She deserves so much more than a boy with daddy issues and a mom with the Neverseen. I will give her what she deserves, no matter what.

--Sophie's POV--

          "Keefe," I whine, holding up a piece of Mallow Melt. "Why won't you try this piece of Mallow Melt?"

          "Two reasons, one, you don't know how to cook. Two, it's all burnt!! How do you find a way to burn a piece of Mallow Melt? It's the easiest thing to make!"

          "It's easy for you! I didn't grow up with Elvin appliances. So I never learned how to cook Elvin food." Keefe rolls his eyes.

          "Fine, I will take one bite. But only if you force Ro to eat some too."

          I sigh, "Fine." I turn around, smirking, and yell, "Ro!! Keefe's not listening to me!!"

          "Hey! That wasn't part of the deal!" Keefe says right as Ro comes stomping into the room.

          "Keefe, we've talked about this. You do as Blondie says or I'll give her some of that flesh-eating bacteria to prank you with." Ro pulls out a small vial.

          "Knowing Sophie, she'll probably end up spilling it all over herself," Keefe says taking the vial before Sophie could grab it. "Maybe we should give this to Sandor so that he can make sure she doesn't do that." He hands the vial to Sandor.

          "You realize that he'll just give it to me when I need it, right?" I ask, smirking when Keefe's eyes widen. "So, does this mean you'll eat this piece of Mallow Melt?"

          "How come you know exactly how to get out of deals?" Keefe asks as he reaches for the Mallow Melt.

          "I fight the Neverseen for a living," I say bluntly, as Keefe takes a bite.

          Keefe tenses up as he chews. But he swallows it anyway and nods his head.

          "Really good Foster, what flavor is it? Kill the Keefester's taste buds?" 

          I laugh, "Exactly!!  Someone finally figured it out!!" I reach up and mess up Keefe's hair.

          "Hey!" Keefe pulls me to him when I try to getaway. "No gets away with messing up the Keefesters hair." He pulls me close to him, "No one except you."

          Keefe leans down and kisses me slowly. The way he always knows how to make me melt, it's incredible. But the moment was ruined when someone cleared their throat behind me. Keefe pulled back and pulled me behind him.

          "Wha-" I started to say but then I saw them.

          Just seeing them made me panic. I couldn't breathe, couldn't move, couldn't think, couldn't speak. Everything began to spin and I noticed how my friends were already fighting them. But they were being taken down too quickly. I lost my balance when Keefe let go of me and I went falling to the ground. But before I hit the ground, someone caught me.

          "Hello, Sophie," Fitz said, and he was noticeable free of his restraint.

          Then everything clicked. My mind sharpened and my panic subsided. My vision rimmed with red and I searched for the thoughts of the intruders. When I got hold of all of their thoughts, I let loose. I Inflicted until a familiar blue breeze mixed with a green breeze filled my mind.

          "Sophie, stop. They're down, you stopped them." I sat up and saw four bodies laying on the ground. 

Fitz, Gethen, Vespera, and Lady Gisela.