➳ 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝-𝐞𝐧𝐝

Start from the beginning

She nodded and entered the room Lucas was in without further questions.

Her brother was lying on the stretcher when she saw him. One hand, with the IV rested across his chest, the other one getting held tightly by Mrs. Wong.

Very slowly, Lucas turned his head to see who it was. Jieun received no smile, no words, just a blank stare from him.

Her eyes filled with water again. She felt so thankful because, unlike Jaemin, he was alive. Yet there was also frustration. Frustration to see him there... and for knowing why he was there.

The relief was nothing compared to the ache she was feeling.

┊𝒟┊

Jungkook rested his head against the wall, wishing he could disappear forever. It wasn't the first time he had been in this situation, seeing people cry for a family member, being inside a hospital after a client's overdose... or death.

Maybe that was his problem — the fact he cared too much and ended up getting involved. The fact he felt sorrow once destroying a life.

Yoongi blamed him for it... saying he wasn't cold enough.

A true leader feels no remorse.

That's what he kept saying.

Guilt does not give you power.

Jungkook let out a humorless laugh because it was true. Hence the reason Yoongi was such a successful drug lord.

Money comes before everything and everyone.

The ironic smile died when he thought about his last quote. No. He couldn't agree. Not with that.

The door next to him was pushed, and he had to wipe out the thoughts. Jieun got out of the room, eyes soaked and swollen from crying.

His heart sank to see her that way, and before he knew it, he was already hugging her tightly as she started to cry on his shoulder.

"Is he okay?" he asked, stroking her hair.

Struggling to get her head up, Jieun nodded, then blinked rapidly, causing a few more tears to slip. "He's okay for now," she craked, wiping her face with the back of her palm. "They said that due to the heroin abuse, which appears to be a long-term one, it's affecting his liver and neuronal system. We don't have much choice but to send him to rehab."

Jungkook didn't answer, although he wasn't surprised to hear that.

A soft sigh escaped her lips as she closed her eyes. "I know you don't like to talk about this, Jungkook... but just tell me this one thing..." she looked up. Jungkook stared at her, suddenly short of breath. "Was Lucas using it when you two were friends? Is that why you walked away from him?"

He sighed, disentangling himself from her arms. "Jieun..."

"Please," she begged.

Jungkook held no major goals or dreams, other than helping his mother and living a comfortable life with absolute freedom. But if he told her, he'd probably lose it.

Jieun loved him, but she loved her brother more.

Even if he wanted to tell everything he knew, about Kai, about the drugs, where Lucas hid it (because it'd also take a heavy weight off his back), it was not a risk he could afford to take.

"If Lucas did, I had no knowledge of it..."

Jieun's shoulder sagged. Her breath hitched, and she realized she was on the verge of another round of tears. He was fast to embrace her again.