Are we friends yet?

Start from the beginning

Amity tapped her fingers against her desk in a quick pattern to calm her nerves. Luz looked at Amity and nervously spoke. "Hey, you probably already heard but my name is Luz. Can I know your name?"

"Amity."

Luz was a little taken aback with the blunt reply that she got but she didn't let that throw her off balance. "Well, Amity I would like to get to know you better. But if you really don't want to be friends or even acquaintances can you at least tell me?" Amity raised an eyebrow, putting on a tough front. "Why would you ask that? We don't even know each other." Luz chuckled. "I guess you're right, but I've seen you on two different occasions and you always seemed to be avoiding me."

Amity pursed her lips, turning to fully face Luz. "I'm sorry, I was in a rush when you saw me yesterday and this morning my siblings were being...complicated." Luz nodded. "I guess that makes sense. So, do you want to ask a question first or should I go?"

"You can ask first," Amity said, leaning back against the back of her chair. Luz pondered. "Well, I don't know if this is too invasive but, what type of monster are you?" Amity raised an eyebrow. "What gave it away?" Luz hummed. "The ears mostly."

Amity sighed. "Understandable. I'm a werewolf, and I'm guessing you're a human?" Luz nodded, smiling sheepishly. "Yeah, I'm a boring human." Amity wanted to say something against that but stopped herself. "You can ask another question." Luz snapped her fingers. "Oh, I know! Do you play any sports?" Amity nodded, relaxing a little when she heard the question. "Yes, I was on the junior varsity football team last year and I plan to try out this year too."

"Neat," Luz said. "I can't really play any sports. I can't really do much heavy lifting In general, weak nerd arms and all." Amity hummed, eyeing Luz's form. "You could try out for the track team. You have the build of a runner." Luz grinned. "Cool, I'll think about it."

"Uh..." Amity trailed off as she tried to think of a good question to ask. Luz leaned her elbow onto her desk and placed her chin on her open palm, watching Amity as she tried to come up with a question. She was surprisingly cute up close, Luz mused to herself, especially when she scrunched up her nose when she was thinking.

"I guess, what was it like for you in your old school? Like did you leave some friends behind when you came here?" Amity asked, not knowing what a loaded question that was. Luz's smile dropped slightly. "Well, I didn't really have any friends at my old school. No one wants to hang out with the weird kid you know."

Amity frowned. "But, you aren't weird. You're probably the most normal person here." Amity felt a twinge of sadness when Luz chuckled sadly. "That's a nice thing to say Amity but that doesn't mean much in a school with vampires and elves." Amity wanted to hug Luz so bad but she forced herself to stay put. She winced as her nails dug into her arm when she clenched her arm to stop herself from moving.

Luz shook herself, placing a smile on her face. "But it's fine, I made friends with Gus and Willow so that's nice."

"I can be your friend." Amity blurred out impulsively.

Luz tilted her head slightly. "You can? Are you sure you want to? I'm weird, remember." Amity rolled her eyes, not worrying about the consequences of her actions. "I quite literally turn into an oversized bipedal dog every full moon, I hardly think you are the weirdest person at this school."

Amity's ears perked up slightly when she heard Luz giggle at her statement. Luz leaned her cheek against her palm as she laughed. "You're funny Amity, and if you're sure I would be glad to be your friend."

"Huh, so I guess that makes us friends." Luz chuckled. "You aren't used to this are you?" Amity blushed. "I-I don't know what you mean." Luz cooed. "Aw, you're shy." Amity turned even redder and turned away from Luz, crossing her arms over her chest. Luz wrung her fingers guiltily. "I'm sorry if that offended you, I was just trying to joke around," Amity mumbled. "I get it, I'm overreacting."