A strange town

The sound of birds chirping filtered through the open window of Luz's room as said girl gradually woke up from her sleep.

Luz stretched her arms over her head, arching her back slightly when her palms made contact with the bedpost at the head of the bed. She sighed before opening her eyes and gazing at the ceiling of what would be her room for the next year.

The girl frowned when she heard more chirping coming from outside. Luz's frown deepened when she saw that her window was open, she didn't remember opening her window last night? Maybe Eda opened it while she was asleep?

Luz shrugged, moving to sit at the edge of the bed as she yawned. She had surprisingly slept well despite being in an unknown environment but the bed had been so soft, much softer than the bed she was used to at home.

"Huh, when did that get there?" Luz mused to herself when she saw a familiar blue hoodie sitting on the windowsill. She picked it up and looked it over, it was clean of any blood and smelt as if it had been in the dryer. Luz smiled softly, it seemed the person she had saved the night before was kind enough to not only return what they had borrowed but also wash the hoodie for Luz.

Luz immediately put the hoodie on and pulled at the drawstrings, giggling when she felt the hood close up around her face. She made her way downstairs and paused when she saw what looked to be a tiny plushie sitting on the couch watching TV.

The thing saw Luz and jumped. It held the remote out in front of it like a weapon and yelled. "Eda! There's someone in the house!"

"Oh yeah, that's our new tenant," Eda called back from the kitchen lazily.

"Our what?" The thing managed to say before Luz hugged it. "Oh wow, estas tan lindo! Qué haces aquí?" Luz squealed as she cuddled against the soft fur of what she was sure was an animal.

Eda peeked her head out of the kitchen to see what was happening in the living room. "Kid be careful with King, he's not used to being hugged like that." Luz begrudgingly let go of King and nodded. "Okay. So your name is King?" the little furball nodded enthusiastically, throwing his hands up in the air with a laugh. "Yes, I am the king of demons!" Eda rolled her eyes, muttering under her breath. "So much for letting the news out slowly."

Luz cooed, kneeling down in front of the couch. "You're so adorable." King puffed out his furry chest and looked up at Luz. "If you're going to be worthy of sharing this space with me you need to prove yourself!" Luz played along. "Oh really? Well, I am at your service then mighty king." King nodded to himself. "Mighty king, I like that. You're hired."

"Alright, alright calm down you two I'm trying to cook." Eda drawled from her position in the back of the kitchen. King stood on the couch and pointed an accusing clawed finger at Eda. "You can't fool me, Eda! You've never willingly cooked anything ever!" Eda sighed, holding her hands up in surrender as she dramatically leaned against the opening to the kitchen. "Well, I've been caught red-handed I guess. Hey, King do you think you can go into town with Luz? I'm sure she'd like to know more about your vast empire."

King nodded determinedly, letting Luz place him atop her shoulders. "Let's go, my loyal subject! We shall travel through my kingdom and perhaps even conquer more land on the way." Luz saluted and marched out the door. "Yes sir." King bounced happily. "Onwards my loyal subject!"

***-***-***

For a town that apparently housed werewolves and small hyperactive demons, the market place seemed pretty normal.

Some of the people walking around were clearly not human and Luz tried hard not to stare at them. The obviously human people around didn't stare so Luz decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to gawk at any of the certified monsters around her but come on. Who wouldn't stare if they saw someone with three eyes and red horns?