Are we friends yet?

Luz had been walking around for a solid five minutes just trying to find her designated classroom. She already took a while to find her locker and now she was sure that she was completely lost.

"Are there no directions? How am I supposed to know where I am?" Luz mused to herself as she walked through the now empty hallways of the school. Every hallway looked identical and with how big the school was Luz was sure that she was never going to find her class.

"Um, do you need help?" A tentative voice asked from behind her.

Luz yelped, turning in the direction of the voice with her hands held out in front of her. A dark-haired girl with pointed ears and a dark-skinned boy were looking at her worriedly. Luz let out a nervous chuckle. "I'm fine! Sorry, I've been a little jumpy all morning. What did you ask again?"

The girl glanced back at her companion before facing Luz again. "I was asking if you needed any help. You seem a little lost and this school can be pretty confusing to new students." Luz smiled sheepishly. "Oh yeah, I think I got a little turned around." The girl smiled in understanding. "It's fine, I was also lost when I first came here. Can I see your schedule?"

Luz handed her the piece of paper she had been holding. "I'm Luz by the way." She added. "Nice to meet you, Luz, I'm Willow and this is Gus," Willow said, gesturing towards Gus who nervously waved back at Luz.

Willow handed Luz her schedule back. "You have Litterature first. Actually, you have most of your classes with us so if you want you can just hang out with us for the rest of the day. We'll understand if you'd rather not though." Luz shook her head, smiling at the two. "No, it's fine. I'd like to know at least one person in the school and we have the same classes so I might as well stay with you two for the rest of the day."

Gus looked down at his watch. "Well, we should hurry up to class then. I don't think we should be late to class on the first day." Luz gestured towards the left side of the hallway and said. "Let's go then." Willow chuckled. "It's actually this way."

"Oh."

***-***-***

Amity tapped her pen against her open notebook as the teacher finished taking attendance. She glanced at the clock on the wall and internally sighed, it had barely been five minutes since the beginning of class and she was already bored.

To her left, Boscha was entertaining herself by throwing bits of erasers at the kids that were sitting at the front of the class. Amity would usually tell her to stop but she didn't have the energy to argue with Boscha this early in the day.

A sound came from behind the classroom door and three people entered looking guilty. The teacher glanced at them and sighed. "Give me your names and take a seat. I expect this tardiness to only be a one-time thing correct?"

The three nodded and the teacher brought the attendance list towards him, looking at the students sternly. "Okay, I already know you two Willow and Augustus but you, what is your name?" Amity glanced up at the three late students and stifled her gasp. Boscha sent her a strange expression before looking back towards the front of the class.

"Luz, Luz Noceda."

The teacher nodded, jotting the name down. "Okay then, Luz there's a free seat next to Amity. Amity please raise your hand so that Luz knows where you are." Amity nervously raised her hand and waited for Luz to see her before lowering her hand onto her desk.

Luz approached her and took a seat at the desk to Amity's right. Amity chanced a look at the tan girl and froze when she saw Luz looking back at her. Luz smiled and waved at her, all Amity managed was a weak smile before the teacher spoke again. "Okay, I'm sure you all need to cool down after doing nothing all summer so I won't be giving you any work today. Instead, I want you all to meet each other and learn more about your classmates, so turn to the person next to you and ask each other a few questions."