Chapter Ten- Making a Plan

Marty, Y/n, and Doc hooked up six horses to the Delorean. They rode through the desert on the hood of the car. "Twenty-four!" Y/n exclaimed, trying to balance herself. Marty grabbed onto her waist to help her from falling. "It's no use, Y/n, Marty! Even the fastest horse in the world won't run more than 35, 40 miles an hour." Doc explained.

"It may not work! But this sure is alot of fun!" Y/n yelled, the wind blowing through her hair some.

"The bartender says that's the strongest stuff they got," Marty said sitting on the passenger side of the Delorean. "Try it, Marty," Doc said as he poured in the alcohol. Marty tried the engine, but it wouldn't go, he continued to try and then the engine sputtered, Y/n lifted her head up and got off the table she was leaning on. "Give it more gas!" she said.

Then an explosion came from the back of the Delorean. Smoke was everywhere. Y/n coughed and waved it away with her hand.

"Damm! It blew the fuel injection manifold. That's strong stuff, alright. It'll take me a month to rebuild it." Doc said picking up a piece of the car and handing it to Marty, walking away.

"A month!" Y/n and Marty said. "Uncle Doc, you get shot on Monday!" Y/n said, following Doc. Marty followed Y/n.

"I know! I know! I know! I wish-Wait I've got it! We can simply roll it down a steep hill. No. We'll never find a smooth-enough surface. Unless-Of course! Ice. We'll wait until winter when the lake freezes over." Doc said, grasping at any idea he could think of.

"Winter? Doc, what are you talkin' about?" Marty said, now standing next to Y/n. Y/n had her arms crossed, "Monday, Uncle Doc! That's three days away!" she exclaimed.

"All right. All right. Let's all think this through logically then. We know it won't run under its own power. We know we can't pull it. But if we can figure out a way to push it up to 88 miles an hour? Huh!" Doc said.

Then a train whistle blew and Y/n pointed out the window, "How 'bout the train?" she asked. Both Marty and Doc looked at her, realizing it just might work. "That's it!" Doc exclaimed.

"How fast can she go? Why, I've had her up to 55, myself. I heard Fearless Frank Fargo got one of these up to near 70 out past Verde Junction." the train conductor said.

"Do you think it's possible to get it up to 90?" Marty asked, holding Y/n's hand as Doc followed the conductor.

"Ha! Ninety? Tarnation, son, who'd ever need to be in such a hurry?"  the train conductor said, surprised at Marty's question. "Just a little bet, the couple and I have that's all," Doc said, pointing to Y/n and Marty. "Theoretically speaking, could it be done?" Y/n asked.

"Well, I suppose, if you had a straight stretch of track with a level grade and you weren't haulin' no cars behind you, and if you could get the fire hot enough and I'm talkin' about hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself. Then yes, it might be possible to get her up that fast." the conductor told Y/n, Marty, and Doc.

"When does the next train come through here?" Y/n asked. "Monday mornin' at 8:00, little darling." the conductor replied.

"Here! This spur runs off the mainline three miles out to Clayton Ravine. It's a long stretch of level track that will still exist in 1985!" Doc said.

"So, that's where we'll push the Delorean with the locomotive?" Y/n asked her Uncle. Doc nodded, "Precisely!" he said.

Marty smiled and got lost in her beauty, then Doc said something, "Funny. This map calls Clayton Ravine 'Shonash Ravine'.." he trailed off. "That must be the old Indian name for it, Uncle Doc." Y/n said.

Doc nodded realizing what she said was true and then continued talking, "It's perfect! A nice long run that goes clear across the bridge over the ravine. You know, over near the Hilldale housing development?" Doc said to Marty.

"Right, Doc. But according to this map, there is no bridge." Marty said pointing to the map.

"Well, Doc, we can scratch that idea. I mean, we can't wait a year and a half for this to get finished." Marty said as all three of them looked out on an empty ravine.

"Marty, it's perfect! You're just not thinking fouth-dimensionally." Doc said. Y/n laughed and Marty playfully nudged her. "Yeah, I have a real problem with that," he said looking at Y/n. Yn then playfully rolled her eyes.

"Don't you see? The bridge will exist in 1985. It's safe and still in use." Doc said.

"Therefore, as long as we get the Delorean up to 88 miles an hour before we hit the edge of the ravine, we'll instantaneously arrive at a point in time where the bridge is completed. We'll have track under us and coast safely across the ravine." Y/n said reassuring Marty of their plan.

Marty smiled and then asked, "What about the locomotive?"  Y/n thought about it and simply said, "It'll probably be a spectacular wreck." laughing a little. Marty smirked at her and lifted her up by waist helping her on their horse. Marty got on after her, as they were about to ride off when they heard a woman screaming.

"Help me! Help!" the woman yelled. "Great Scott!" Doc exclaimed, riding off to help the woman. "Hold on, beautiful," Marty told Y/n. She put her arms around his waist as Marty rode after Doc.