Chapter 28

"Like a hand grenade thrown in a hurricane
Spinning in chaos, trying to escape the flame
Yesterday is gone
Faster than the blast of a car bomb

And when the scars heal, the pain passes
As hope burns, we rise from the ashes
Darkness fades away
And the light shines on a brave new day

Our future's here and now
Here comes the countdown

- "Rise" by Skillet

Chapter 28

Randel gave Harald an uneasy look while the rest of us waited for him to speak. After a moment, he let out a heavy sigh. "What do you want to talk about?" he asked warily.

"You saved my life," Harald said bluntly.

Randel appeared surprised to hear this. "I didn't do a very good job if we die in here. I should have pulled you out so we'd be free."

Harald shook his head. "You didn't have time to think. An action like that is based on instinct. You wanted to protect me."

"You care," I said softly, standing beside Harald. I glanced at the others and noticed them quietly watching us with interest.

"Yes, when did the change occur?"

Randel frowned. "There was no change, really. I've always cared; I've just had a lousy way of showing it."

Harald's eyes narrowed. "Trying to kill me is beyond 'lousy.'"

Randel winced. "I was angry and not thinking clearly. And I was probably only a danger to you minutes after the incident. After that, it was blind obsession that compelled me to chase you. If I actually caught you, I doubt I would have been able to kill you."

"You're saying the pursuit itself was the motivating factor? That's absurd."

"No, that makes perfect sense to me!" Dagur shouted from the back. "Obsession fuels itself."

Harald smirked slightly. "I stand corrected. But that does not explain your other abusive tendencies like trying to turn me to violence."

"I know you have no reason to believe me, but I was trying to look out for you," Randel said. "That's why I left you and your mom. Later on, I took you in when you had nowhere else to go, and I thought your chance to lead a normal life free from danger had passed. So, I needed to teach you what I knew. I thought violence was the answer. I wanted you to be tough so you could survive. And I treated you harshly so you would know how cruel people can be."

"Well, it worked. I had to unlearn everything you taught me." Harald's breathing deepened, so I moved closer to him. He took my hand and gave me a small smile. "But it's alright. As I told you before, I regret nothing. Because you showed me all the evil in the world, I am better able to appreciate the good. And I can help others do the same."

"We can help you if you want us to," I added. "Do you see now here you are wrong, even a little bit? Are you remorseful?"

Randel lowered his head. "I am, lass. I am sorry for the trouble I have caused you. And I am sorry for everything I did to you, Harald. I've regretted it for awhile now but had no idea what to do about it. I suppose rediscovering the map gave me something else to focus on."

"That leads me to another question," Harald said. "Why team up with Toki? If you needed someone to unlock the map, you could have tried to force me into it."

"At that point, I didn't want to risk damaging our relationship any further. Not that it could go much lower, but being around you would remind me of that. Anyway, I think Toki reminded me of you."