Chapter 14

"Light is meaningful only in relation to darkness, and truth presupposes error. It is these mingled opposites which people our life, which make it pungent, intoxicating. We only exist in terms of this conflict, in the zone where black and white clash." — Louis Aragon

Chapter 14

Snoggletog finally arrived. Everyone spent the day celebrating with a huge party, which included a gigantic feast. Even the dark sky could not get us down as we spent time with friends, family, and the Night Lights. Once the excitement started to die down, I led Harald to a secluded area in the woods.

"Are you having a good time?" I asked, shifting weight between my feet.

Harald smiled at me. "It is a bit noisier than I'm used to, but I'm having a great time. You really know how to celebrate."

I grinned at that. "We sure do. Anyway, I got you something." I reached into my bag and pulled out a small box. "Happy Snoggletog, Harald."

He appeared surprised as he took the box. "Thank you, Brennda." He opened the lid, revealing the wooden carving of a Skrill, which mirrored the Berserker symbol. "This is beautiful."

"There's a hole on the top so you can add a rope to wear it as a bracelet or necklace... if you want."

Harald smiled. "I will certainly do so. Thank you, Brennda. I got something for you as well." He held out a small bag.

As soon as I opened the beg, a mesmerizing scent filled my nose. My brain barely even registered the herbs that produced it. "It smells like you..."

Harald averted his gaze. "That's because this is a mixture I use. They're herbs to help induce relaxation and reduce anxiety. If you don't like it-"

"I love it!" I made sure the bag was securely closed and tucked away before flinging my arms around Harald's neck.

Harald nearly stumbled back in surprise, but he adjusted quickly and held his arms tightly around me. "You're welcome," he breathed into my ear. "Happy Snoggletog, Brennda. I love you."

I pulled back and smiled at him. "I love you too." I closed the distance between us and kissed him deeply. His lips moved in sync with mine, filling me with an intoxicating feeling. When we pulled back for air, we simply gazed at each other for a full minute. "W-We should get back before the others notice we're gone."

"If you insist." Harald left a lingering kiss below my ear and then stepped completely away from me. He smirked at my look of disappointment. "Later, love. We will have all the time in the world."

Satisfied with that response, I took his hand, and we start back to the village. I smiled at all the happy Vikings and dragons we passed. All except for one. A single young boy stood off on his own with a gloomy look. That simply would not do. I grabbed Harald's shoulders and turned him to face Cason. "You should talk to him."

Harald frowned. "Why? He's a dirty spy."

I gave him a look. "And he's also your brother."

"That doesn't mean I have any obligation to him. It clearly doesn't mean anything to him."

I held in a sigh. It looked like he needed to spend even more time around Dagur. And maybe Cason did too. "He's a kid, Harald. He's probably frustrated and confused. It doesn't sound like he's had an easy life. Whether or not he's a spy, you have to admit Toki is probably using him. You have a chance to step in and tear him away from him. Don't you wish someone had intervened when you were that age?"

Harald looked away but not before I caught the uncertainty in his eyes. "I'm not like you. I can't help anyone."

I cupped his face and forced him to look at me. "You're wrong. You will be amazing at it with some practice. Besides, who better to pry Cason away from a family member than another family member? You don't have to have a life-shattering conversation right now. Just lay some ground work for the future."