Chapter 8

"More than it seems, these dreams inside
Blur reality's line
If I could believe the dreams aside
I am capable more than it seems

This time I won't run away
I found the strength to face life's long days
This time I won't run away
"

- "More Than It Seems" by Kutless

Chapter 8

A week passed before my team could search for the last cave at the School of Dragons. We met in the Hidden World Annex to find Raija since the Light Fury was needed to activate the cave wall. I did not yet tell Hiccup about Harald's connection to the School. I really thought it would be better if Harald was there when he found out.

"So, I have a quick question before we start," Heather said to Harald. We were all on our dragons, ready to take off. "Do you actually know who has the final key?"

"Wait, I thought he had it," Skulder said, looking at Harald.

"Only the map was passed down in my family," Harald explained. "The key was passed down through a different line to keep them both safe."

"Okay, so where's the key?" I asked. I had a bad feeling about this since he never mentioned ever finding someone else from his tribe.

"I have no idea."

"What?!" Skulder exclaimed.

"That's just great," Eret said. "We're stuck."

"Relax," said Harald. "I have it all worked out."

"This should be good," I said.

"Toki and Randel were drawn here because those rogue dragon hunters probably spread a rumor that we stole the map. If they were drawn here, the holder of the key will be as well."

"That's a pretty big assumption," Viggo said.

"I doubt our adversaries would make their presence known if they did not believe they key would show up. Besides, they have more of a vested interest in finding it. We want to stop them by getting to the treasure first, but it's just as well if we were unable to unlock the map."

"So, Toki and Randel are more motivated to find the key," Heather said. "I guess that makes sense."

"Let's discuss it later," Viggo said. "Our guest is here."

I glanced at the ground and saw Raija sitting there watching us. "Hey there, friend. We need to ask you to help us out again."

"We're looking for another cave," Harald said. "This one should be somewhere up in the School." He pointed to the cavern opening. "Will you come with us?"

The Light Fury made an affirmative noise. Then we all took off for the School. We started at the stables and entered the tunnel system. Soon, we were in undeveloped territory. Raija stopped at one point and then aimed a plasma blast at the wall, revealing a hidden cave.

"Well, she found it!" Eret said.

"Good job," said Harald. He led the way into the cave that looked eerily similar to the previous three. He pulled out the map and held it out to Raija. "Can I have a small flame, please?" The white dragon complied, blowing her fire into the map. Harald started for the wall but stopped just before the indent, frozen.

"Well?" said Skulder. "What are you waiting for?"

I exchanged a look with Viggo, and he nodded. I walked up to Harald and slipped my hand into his free one. When he glanced down at me, I gave him a look of compassion. "It's alright," I said softly. "I'm here."

Harald finally bent down and placed the map in the indent, lighting up the wall. His breathing grew shallow as he backed away. I wrapped my arm around his waist and leaned into him, and he put both arms around me.