Chapter 16

"Give away the fight
Release your foolish pride
The very bond is broken down
You need to leave behind

Oh, and the time has come to realize
And see the plan you've been designed for
So, face the fear of all unknown
And see the heart inside
So, open up your eyes

- "Open Up Your Eyes" by Jeremy Camp

Chapter 16

Ruffrunner managed to support my weight all the way to Auction Island. My heart hammered as I started up the long path. "Stay close to me," I said to the dragon. I knew Stormheart did not like dragons on the island, but there was no way I was leaving Ruffrunner alone. Besides, if she wanted to kill me, she could find numerous reasons that had nothing to do with the Night Light.

As soon as I reached the top, I felt pirate stares on me. I realized this was the first time I had come to Auction Island alone except to meet Harald. Was I in my right mind? Could I really succeed here? I thought about Harald in peril and knew I had no choice. Now, where to find Stormheart?

"Hey, it's you!"

I froze even though the voice did not sound threatening. I slowly turned to see a smiling pirate jogging toward me. That was a little unexpected.

"It's Brennda, right?"

I looked him up and down but could not place him. "I'm sorry,do I know you?"

The pirate rubbed the back of his beck. "I reckon you wouldn't. I'm Morvin. Harald helped me out the last time you were here after Randel attacked me."

My eyes lit in recognition. "Oh, it's you! How are you doing?"

Morvin smiled. "I'm much better, thank you. The wound has healed nicely. So, what can  I do for you? It's dangerous for you to be here, alone, you know."

I glanced down at Ruffrunner. "I'm not alone."

"And that might make it worse."

"I know, but I have no choice. I need to speak to Stormheart."

The pirate appeared hesitant. "That's also not a good idea. She's been in a... mood lately."

"It doesn't matter. Harald is in danger, and I need her help!"

Morvin's eyes widened. "What?! I'll take you to Stormheart straight away. Harald saved my life, and he was always a good captain. We've missed him a lot."

I found the news surprising. Did Harald realize his men felt that way about him? Considering pirates did not appear quick to show emotion, I doubted it. I followed Morvin up the hill to Stormheart's throne. The queen was alone, and her eyes narrowed at Morvin when we approached.

"Morvin, what is the meaning of this?" she snapped. "Why did you bring her here?"

Morvin flinched but did not back down. "With all due respect, she has something important she has to ask you, and I think you should listen to her. It's-" He visibly swallowed. "It's about Harald."

Stormheart's eyes tightened. "Very well. You are dismissed."

Morvin sent me an apologetic look. I thought he mouthed 'good luck' before scurrying back down the hill. I took a deep breath and met Stormheart's harsh gaze. Great, now I was alone with her.

"What do you want? And make it quick."

Despite my love of truth, I realized my relationship with this woman was defined by deception. Yes, some of it came from her, but I had gone great lengths to conceal many things from her as well. Now I needed to be open and vulnerable and hope it did not come back to bite me. Where did I even start?