Chapter 27

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." – J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Chapter 27

"Ah, you survived," Toki said in a pleasant tone, his eyes on me. "How wonderful. I-"

"Don't bother giving an excuse as to why you had to do it," Harald said darkly. "I've heard it - and used it - all before."

Toki smirked. "Very well. Let us get right to it. I need those dragons." He pointed to the Night Lights, huddled around their parents near Hiccup.

"That is not happening."

"And here I thought you wanted to negotiate."

"Not with you." Harald looked at Randel and then back at Toki. "We need four leaders to follow the map properly. You are no leader, Toki."

Toki looked like he wanted to protest, but Randel held up his hand. "That is fine," said the captain. "I am in charge after all." He shot Toki a sharp look before turning back to his son. "You've really united three tribes?"

"Tribes being a loose term, more or less."

Randel's eyes tightened. "Why?" Something about his look told me he genuinely wanted to know the answer. It seemed we perplexed him.

"That's easy," Dagur said loudly. "Of course I had to join my sister and Brennda. They're Berserkers, and we stick together! Sure, there was a time I would have forced them to join me, but that doesn't end in satisfying relationships. And I don't care who I align myself with as long as they're willing to stand with me today. I don't have a clean past myself, after all."

"Sure, let's listen to the deranged one," Toki said sarcastically.

"No, Dagur has a point," said Hiccup. "The past isn't as important as the future. Brennda and Harald have managed to make peace with the pirates here and teach them how to respect dragons. They have shown the way towards peace. That is why I have joined them."

"Peace," Randel snorted. "What does peace get you?"

"Safety and security, for one," said Nikora. "Not to mention companionship and a new depth of experiences."

Randel frowned at her. "Are you really willing to give up power and conquest for friendship?"

"Who said I have to give it up? There's no reason I can't have both. But if I had to choose..." Nikora's eyes flickered to Harald. "What point is there in power and riches if you are alone? We are meant to be with others. Denying this fact only harms you in the long run. The longer it takes to learn this lesson, the more damaged you will be."

Randel swept his arm over his pirates. "I have plenty of people with me, and we're not held back by friendship."

"Held back? Do you not understand that those who serve you willingly and out of friendship or love will fight twice as hard? How many of your men would risk their lives for you? And how many would betray you if they thought they could take your power? There is value in having a few smart, trusting relationships. It decreases stress and allows great efficiency."

"And they bring enjoyment to your life," I added. "Doesn't everyone want that?"

"Those who claim they don't need anyone are rationalizing their inability to make friends so they feel better about themselves," Harald said smoothly. "I would know - I as once in that boat. It's not too late to change."